Author Topic: chasing rings  (Read 2663 times)

Offline triggerfinger

Re: chasing rings
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:00 pm »
Nice tutorial, I hope to use it when I get back in town.  I have a stave in the vise just waiting for me.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »
John, I thought of you and this post today when I was chasing a growth ring.  Hope it's OK if I add some pictures. 

Light is so important to this process.  The best lights I've found for inside the shop are the 500watt harbor freight shop lights.  Sometimes, only a little move of the light makes a big difference.  Here's my setup:

I normally run just 1 light, they're pretty hot.  This bow has pretty tight rings and I had a tough time seeing them.  Looking at the bow from my vantage the ring boundary is tough to see.

Just turning on the left light instead of the right one changes everything.

Don't be afraid to move around the stave and/or move the lights around the stave. :)

That knot came out pretty good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »
Obsessive compulsive?  Nah, if that were the case you would be wearing a full body condom with your respirator!   >:D    Seriously, osage can really mess with people that are sensitive to wood dust or has respiratory issues!

Along with gstoneberg's halogen Death Star Worklamps, a small hand held LED flashlight allows you to change the direction of lighting without having to move light stands or unclamp your workpiece.  I have been known to flip off the overhead lights and use the LED flashlight to pick out touchy spots. 

Try the craziest things, let your mind take impossible flights, innovate...but fear no growthring!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 06:08:50 pm »
"Fear no growth ring"  !!
I like that !
Goes well with "just do it" !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »
Wj you are very funny person I hope you go to the classic.
And G I am glade that you posted on here anything to help these new guys like you all did for me!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »
This is a really great thread to help people get the hang of chasing the growth ring.  Ya did a great job with the photos and explanation, I gotta say.  Chasing rings is probably the scariest thing for new bowyers.  And it's one of the toughest until suddenly that lightbulb comes on, from then on it's nothing but cake. 

Thanks for posting this I-Owe-A-Bow.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.