Author Topic: ERC shafts?  (Read 4050 times)

Offline DRon knife

ERC shafts?
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:55:08 pm »
Hi,I'm interested in making my own arrows and I was wondering if Eastern Red Cedar Is a good wood to use? Is there anything special or different about ERC that I should be aware of? Thanks,Ron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ERC shafts?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »
It should make pretty good arrows but it is pretty soft. Probably not very durable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:11:57 pm »
tried to make some shafts outta erc.
didnt go so well.
my experience was that they either had to be way to "fat" to maintain enough stiffness
or if i planed em down to a  reasonable diameter they were really flimsy.
and broke readily. ymmv
wild women don't get the blues

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:24:57 pm »
I see,bummer tho..I have some nice pieces. Thanks,Ron

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:27:16 pm »
erc makes lovely flutes....
wild women don't get the blues

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:59 pm »
...and bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:07:39 pm »
All of my hunting arrows this year are erc.....3/8" diameter and I think they were run through a hot compression block....I sent my 1/2 X 1/2 down the Ken 75 and he ran 'em through a dowel maker and block for me..... The wood was salvaged from a very old farmhouse up here that was sided with erc 8" lap.

These were finished in the eastern woodland style 3 fletch and carry stone heads...I managed to get one shot and that arrow went through a nice 8 point and had enough leftover energy to break the head on the "off" side when the arrow hit a pile of field stone. Actually it only broke the very tip. The head was a flint-ridge cahokian made by Dan Hamblin.

The arrows have an average weight of 537 to 550 grains and come out of my 50# shorties very hard and fast. Personally, I like the stuff. I'm attaching a photo that shows some,also the buck 176# dressed.
rich

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:52 am »
Good job Halfeye !!

Looks to me like it worked fine !
So there you go folks use what you have because if you ain't got it it won't work !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 11:58:52 am »
Very nice arrows half eye,I'll just let you make them for me..lol!!

Offline John D

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:45 pm »
The wood was salvaged from a very old farmhouse up here that was sided with erc 8" lap.

Its worth pausing to consider that Half Eye's outstanding work was crafted from reclaimed lumber: most likely old growth.  In conversations with old framers and loggers, the lumber we use today was burned as "slash" two generations ago (maybe thats why we have to use the slash today).  Framers describe not having to cull their pile of studs because every piece of lumber was straight and sound.  Although it may be the same species, chances are Half Eye's ERC was of significantly better quality. 

I need to find some old siding.  Great work Half Eye :)

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 08:38:36 pm »
I agree there John,nothing like old growth timber,Erc does have an exception to the rule tho..,I have a farm(my parents do anyway) and I've managed to find some Erc that have 70 growth rings and the tree is only 5" across at the base,this is a result of very slow growing in the cover of other trees,others I've found on the edges of fields are half as old and twice as wide and 30' tall,unfortunately the tree's have way too many knots to be of use for bows or arrows :(

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 02:05:21 pm »
A strip of hickory for the back on that knoty cedar and you have a bow that really spits them out !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:43:32 pm »
why does the quiver have two sections?
nice arrows and points
i have decided to try using cedar fence pickets cause we had some left over from my dad making beehives by splitting them so far i have one shaft because I'm only able to spend a few minutes at a time before i have another chore to do