Author Topic: Pass through shots on Whitetails  (Read 9202 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Pass through shots on Whitetails
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:43 am »
I agree,I shoot with lot of folks with longer draws[in fact most] ;) ;D ;D but one that really stick is Gary Davis ,we built 2 bow ,same wood ,same dimensions,only difference was his was 50@28 mine was 50@26,we shot same weight arrow at the same distance both being sure to get full draw,his arrows would penetrate constantly and inch or more in the targets [3d range] I know this is not very scientific but it told me all I need to know about energy and draw length.All
else being equal draw length plays a major role an since I can't do anything about that I just learned to be a better tracker. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:06:28 am »
Come on Pappy! You could pay for and attend those Rod Jenkins over drawing your bow classes! I hear most guys add 2" to their draw lengths after they learn to shoot the "right"' way. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:41:02 am »
Pearlie are those classes for draw length only? ::)

Lane

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:26 am »
 You sensed my usual sarcarsm Lane! Im bad about sarcasm........hopefully most have me figured out by now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »
Yep I have :) :) and yep could :) :) just to old and hard headed to change. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:54:24 pm »
If an arrow goes through both sides you then get to patch two holes during brain tanning.  ;D
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D so true,also if it goes all the way through the head has done all the damage it can do but if it stays in it is cutting all the time the deer is moving. :)
Thats my story. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 03:06:03 pm »
Your right you lose the knock knock effect of every tree it runs past.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 03:43:26 pm »
;D ;D ;D so true,also if it goes all the way through the head has done all the damage it can do but if it stays in it is cutting all the time the deer is moving. :)
Thats my story. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy

I agree too Pappy.  The quickest bow killed hog  ever for me was about a 75lb sow that completely jumped the string.  She was broadside at release and by the time the arrow made the 10 yard trip she was running almost straight away.  Thankfully I was pulling 60lbs.  The broadhead hit in the ham and stopped when it hit the front leg bone on the off side.  She didn't make it 20 yards but that was well out of sight.  Pretty good good blood trail for having no exit which surprised me.  The head had pulled back inside the chest and made a mess as she ran.  This was on a hunting ranch and the hired hand was dumbfounded at how well my old recurve had done the job.  Had the pig been a little larger it might not have turned out so well.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:41 pm »
If an arrow goes through both sides you then get to patch two holes during brain tanning.  ;D

Thank goodness your wife knows the secret to getting a flawless hide!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »
yes because she kills bigger bucks lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 07:49:37 pm »
Yeah and driving them off a high bridge and breaking their necks leaves no bullet or arrow holes.  I tell ya, she's goooooood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gmc

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
Just a thought. How about the fps setting the wt of the arrow so if you have a 148fps drop the 1 and add a zero 480grain arrow should work.  Or 160 fps drop the 1 and add a zero and you have 600grains.  Just a thought. 

Interesting.

Ashby used used a pound/ second formula that takes both factors into consideration; arrow weight and velocity (fps) then developed a momentum factor that was believed to have the best performance. Momentum is spoke of a lot in his reports as the velocity (kinetic energy) will soon leave the arrow but the momentum of the arrow lives on as it travels to the target, thus making the heavier arrow more productive.

Does make sense, but the factor seems a little high based on the responses in this thread. He also referred to the Pope & Young standard (if you will) of the popular 10 grains per pound arrow weight.

I believe using the 10 grain per lb reference might be a better predictor as the information is easier to obtain in terms of draw weight/ arrow weight rather than velocity and may offer a better predictor as a reference without knowing the bows efficiency, which only a handfull of fps separates any of them anyway. Still should get one pretty close, maybe.

Guess the question of how light can my arrow be and still deliver the results may be the real question. That's of course if your looking for that longer range, flat trajectory, that will remove you from spear distance. :)

Central Kentucky