Author Topic: First 2012 point  (Read 1565 times)

Offline iowabow

First 2012 point
« on: January 19, 2012, 11:27:03 am »
With hunting season over it is again time to re-tool and refit my equipment for next year.  I have deccided to make points in the 150grain range this time and start with the flint that tower sent me this fall.  He really sent some nice flint and it works so much nicer than the material I quarry here at the house.  I still love my quarried flint because of the color.  That TX flint can take a hit and come off in very thin sheets yet pressure flake great and I did not expect it to work so well on both ends.  This point came in at 140 grains. 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Will H

Re: First 2012 point
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »
Lookin good John!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »
 I noticed my photo makes my point look very off center. I must have held the camera at an angle. The top photo is more correct. Thanks Will and I want to see you kill a deer with that larger point I sent you so don't put it in a drawer lol.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »
Excellent work John...I need to get some good flint or get some heat treated stuff because I think that is where I am struggling at the moment.  150 gr should make a nice hole  ;)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »
Looks good, John! I have a box of that Texas stuff headed my way toofrom a trade. Cant wait to see how it works. Did you heat your rock or was it already heated? Im curious how closely and at what temp it should be managed.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:03:11 pm »
That is a good question for Tower. I did not heat it but maybe he did. it is real good stuff I can tell you that. I have to hit it harder than my stuff.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:40:40 pm by iowabow »

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »
 Very nice point! You've really come a long way in a short time. I'm happy to here that flint is working for you.No heat on that rock I sent. Its from New Braunfels TX. I think its a type of Georgetown. It works pretty good raw but a little turns it into candy. Sometimes I find a piece that looks like bluish grey rootbeer. That's the good stuff.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »
Whew!

Yes Sir, that is Very Purty!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
Looks like you ain't lost your touch.  Nice one John, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:01:21 am »
Funny story I wanted to share. 
I proudly  handed my new arrowhead to my wife and said "Do you want to see "my" point I just notched?".  She took the point into her hand, looked at it and said "This is really good but it is NOTCH-O-POINT" and put it in her pocket. 

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 01:46:49 pm »
Kind of like Nat cho cheese ;D
My wife does the same thing to me.  I need to get her a case for all of the points shehas snatched from me.  Her favorites are nearly clear obsidian and cobalt blue glass.  Going to an auction at the end of the month - 1 tray of point up for the highest bidder will be available.  We'll see how high it goes.
First real storm of 2012 - snow level at around 3000' - debris flow on the highway on the way to work - Burn area from the motor fire last year.  They had one lane plowed through so I got to come to work! :laugh:

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:21:42 pm »
If you have read my hunting stories then you know I am use to DEAR carring off my points lol