Author Topic: Over-powering discussion if you please....  (Read 5123 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Over-powering discussion if you please....
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:56 am »
good read Pearly , as some said already thickness matters 1/4 inch hickory is too thick for backing 1/8th is better and depending on the core trapping is an option as well. the ibeam thing i did on two bows of different designs with hickory backed ipe center and hard maple on either side. beautiful but i didnt see any added compression strength , and i had to thin my backing to keep from over powering the core

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 05:39:45 am »
good read Pearly , as some said already thickness matters 1/4 inch hickory is too thick for backing 1/8th is better and depending on the core trapping is an option as well. the ibeam thing i did on two bows of different designs with hickory backed ipe center and hard maple on either side. beautiful but i didnt see any added compression strength , and i had to thin my backing to keep from over powering the core

It's not going to add any compressive strength. I was simply talking about losing weight from the limbs whilst storing the same amount of energy.

Look at where the work is being done - surfaces not somewhere in the limb. Where do chrysals occur?
I know people talk about the thickness mattering and maybe it does a little but the surface area of the material is much more important.
Why do paper thin backings work on a bellywood that wouldn't stand not being backed?
If thickness of a backing is all important why does trapping work?
If a material has a certain resistance to stretching making it thinner then gluing it to a belly wood does not change this resistance.
Questions questions! Ain't bow making just great!

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:04:23 am »
Uh...I thi....uh...yeah...uh....eh........screw it... im just gonna go bend some wood cus my head hurts :laugh:

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:19 am »
That is kinda my thing too Chris !
Just give me a nice long piece of wood I can whittle on no fuss no stress for me or it ,we will serve each other for a good long time ! But others are not there yet and still want to play !  As long as they want to I will enjoy watching them !!
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !