Author Topic: Folding handle draw knife  (Read 4403 times)

Offline GaryR

Folding handle draw knife
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:08:16 am »
I want a new draw knife and I'm seeing some with folding handles. I can see how it would be a disadvantage. Does anyone have/use one?

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Folding handle draw knife
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »
  I have 2 that I bought at a flea market. I never used either. The handles screw up into place so they don't fold up on the one. But unscrew and fold in and have bans that hold the handles in place from fall back down.  The other has metal bans that slid down to hold the handles from founding in. I do have 1 I use but I have 10 in all I've collected from yard sells and flea markets. Now people have watched to much AMERICAN PICKERS and want 50 to 100 dollors apeice for them.
  My granddady worked in what he called the stave mill woods. And I have the one he used and had for 60 years. It has a 8 inch blade way bigger than any of my others. I used it a bunch when I started building bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sadiejane

Re: Folding handle draw knife
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:03:38 pm »
have had numerous folding draw knives i have either traded or given away. i did keep one and use it periodically. the bolts are square as is the "hole" in the handles. once the wing nuts are tightened down the handles have no movement at all. makes a bit easier to toss in the tool bag. some of the other ones didnt hold as well. some did. some had serrations to hold em open or closed, those had the most "play"
yeah finding em cheap is hit or miss these days but as mentioned on previous threads, there are many on that big auction site and seem most i have watched go for under $20. in this part of the country it is still relatively easy to stumble on em at flea markets and swaps etc for less than $10. antique stores seem to be a bit more in the $20 range. tho ive seen em for up to $50. they were such a common farm tool back in the day, there are lots of em out there. unless they have bad nicks or have been sharpened to nothing, they work just like when new. and better than modern imho. but i do like old tools, so have no need to pursue newer tools.
wild women don't get the blues