Author Topic: degreasing before sinew  (Read 4713 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: degreasing before sinew
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:22 am »
I use acetone.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 09:13:26 am »
I use TBIII for my sinew and never do any degreasing of the bow or sinew. Never had anything lift on me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 10:37:07 am »
I use aceatone or brake kleen,I like the brake kleen,just spray it on and wipe it
off,I use it for lots of projects that need cleaning or degreasing. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 11:13:52 am »
  I have'nt sinewed a lot, a dozzen or so bows. But I never cleaned any of mind only sanded them put on sinew. If you sand it's new wood why clean and had moisture. I had a friend CROOKETARROW that was half IROQIOUS that built bows for over 50 years. When he sinewed ,sanded is all he ever did also.
  I made my glue like he made his glue, so it would BARELY more down hill. Add the sinew to warm water and glue made really thin. Leave it in for a little while to let the glue pentrate then pull between dry rags to remove the water and glue. Sand the bow with 80 grit sand paper. Seise the bow back with the thicker glue. Add the your sinew.
  Never had or heard him say he ever had any problems.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline snag

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 12:42:27 pm »
I was in the local Woodcrafters yesterday picking up a few items. I noticed they sell hide glue in a canister about the size of an oatmeal container. Will this work for backing bows?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »
Snag, I have a quart can of H. Behlen "Ground Hide Glue" that Sonny sent me. I also saw it advertised in Dick Blick, an artist catalog. I used it on the last sinew backed bow with very good results. Might be the same stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »
thank's for all the reply's, I've only done one sinew job awhile ago and was going by Jim Hamm's Book, but i really wanted to get away from the caustic stuff if i could, thank's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »
To really clean sinew, whether for backing, lashing or making glue, you can also soak it in several changes of warm water until the water remains clear and doesn't end up with a fatty film floating up to the top.