Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 15873 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Smoking
« on: January 17, 2012, 01:35:27 am »
I know the Surgeon General is against it, but I want to start smoking again.  I just love it, and so does everyone around me.

So.  My question is what brand of smoker do you use and why?  I had the use of a 30" MasterBuilt electronic with digital temp control, a timer, and a nifty little feeder tray for adding chips.  I thought it was pretty decent, got great results. 

Anyone have any input for me on the subject?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Smoking
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:43:49 am »
I have the manual feed type. There is nothing like ground Jack Daniels barrels for smoking. The flavor transfers nicely to the wood.
This isn't the same but it is close.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:10:42 am »
Mine's just a no-name, but it gets the job done ;)

I always use willow for smoke, gives the meat a flavor you can't find anywhere else.

EDIT - BTW, I know you're not looking for a smoke house, just being a smart ass...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:22:05 am by Cameroo »

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:14:07 am »
I have a big green egg and love it.  We use mostly apple pear and cherry wood on Boston butts, pork loins, and whole chickens.  From spring until fall it gets used 2-3 times per week.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:41:08 am »
Mine's just a no-name, but it gets the job done ;)

I always use willow for smoke, gives the meat a flavor you can't find anywhere else.

EDIT - BTW, I know you're not looking for a smoke house, just being a smart ass...

Good thing that thing aint close to me!!  I would have to raid it!!!!  nice!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 09:31:49 am »
Dad and I got our hands on one of those heavily insulated stainless steel food xporters. It has 10 racks on the inside. We installed a burner from an old stove and a 20# tank.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:26:22 pm »
I use a cheap electric. I know it is not very authentic. I have had it for years and it never fails me. Everything from briskets to shoulders to 20 lbs turkeys.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:35:34 pm »
JW,
Have you seen the type that uses pellets? Like the heating fuel but made for smoking. The nice thing about them is you can fill them with fuel and let them go for hours without having to refuel them.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 02:48:25 pm »
I'm using a cheap electric one also. Just plug it in and set the temperature and go about your business.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »
Mines a cheap electric Brinkman as well.  Up north I only used apple or plum wood (cause I had boatloads of it) and down here I only use mesquite (cause I have boatloads of it).  As soon as I work on my hickory staves, I'm sure the scraps will end up as smoker wood.  Wonder how osage would work??

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »
JW,
Have you seen the type that uses pellets? Like the heating fuel but made for smoking. The nice thing about them is you can fill them with fuel and let them go for hours without having to refuel them.

I have looked at those, but you are limited to using their pellets (or in one case their wood biscuits - no gravy either).  I like the flexibility to use different woods, or even dried apples as the smoke source. 

I'd love to build a smokehouse, but at this time I don't have a piece of ground to put it on.  'Sides, I don't often have that much to smoke at one time.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09:31 pm »
I'd like to have a smokehouse down here tooexcept, it would be full of flys and roaches and no telling what else. It never gets cold enough to kill any bugs here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:17 pm »
JW,

I had a big Chief electric smoker but it finally gave up the ghost, too many Pactola trout?

I currently use a Masterbuilt M7P 7-in-1 Smoker, does a great job as a smoker, and you have the benefit off all the other options this tool can be used for. If someone stole it tonight I would buy another in the morning, that is the best recommendation I can offer.

Sean 

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »
My great grandfather and granfather both used old metal interior refrigerators. Pre-insulated, they cut a hole in the bottom and used an old cast iron skillet as the heat source and used what ever woods they had around, cedar, madrone, hickory chips .....  They always turned out some good stuff.

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:34 pm »
I have a cheap brinkman propane smoker, and an electric from cabelas. Both work great.
FYI, IMO the place I go to drool over smoked food is at smokingmeatforums.com , they have whole sections on the different kinds of smokers.  Very friendly and helpful members there, just like PA.

I should know better.