Author Topic: Daddy what are quail?  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Kpete

Re: Daddy what are quail?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 07:42:02 pm »
yep,
Pop was on one side and I was on the other.  My first was a single that had landed out in the milo and
Dad's pointer locked up on him.  I later got a Brit Spaniel as well.     Lots of shot hit the hedge and no birds at times.  Those bobwhites could get from one side of the Osage row to the other in a hurry.  Only 40 or so years ago.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 02:38:44 am »
Well this is a sad, but true thread.  Lots of good points JW.. Folks are doing away with fences down in these parts too.  Kpete that gun sounds sweet. 

I have hear that hedges were so effective that they even kept pigs in. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 02:54:33 am »
I also shot my first squirrel from a hedge row.   They are close to my heart.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 10:41:37 am »
When I was 12 my dad got a job in Ottawa so we moved from our home in the country to a suburb on the Western end of Ottawa called Britannia.  Right across the street from where we lived was a large undeveloped area, a conservation area I believe, that had a large field in it.  Oddly enough in this field was a small flock of Quail.  Coming from the country I was quite used to going out any time I felt like it with a bow hunting for small game and these Quail were like gifts from heaven.  I remember going out and flinging arrows at them many times.  They were smart and would never let me get very close them, you could see when they were getting nervous, so shots were more often than not fairly long.  I never arrowed one but came close many times.  Our neighbours must have wondered what I was doing going out with bow and arrows, I'm sure that if they had know I was hunting they would have called the cops.  We were in Ottawa for 4 years and I have wondered whatever happened to them.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:14 am »
I grew up with an English setter named Joe. :) A better pet there never was, he was definitely a member of our family and a great hunting dog as well. There was a friend of the family who owned a Brittany, and he and my dad would hunt together often behind our house where there was several hundred acres of undeveloped property with quite a few quail. I often begged my way into getting to go with them as a boy. I remember so many times busting up the covey, then going after the singles.

I also remember flushing a covey right at my feet when dark headed into a deer stand...talk about getting your heart racing! I can't remember when I last saw a quail, been years.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »
my grandpa always said quail hatched running. and he musta been right. many a time while growing up i would stumble across a quail nest . . never returned in a day or two that they werent gone. hardly a sign there was ever a nest there cept  a few of the shells left scattered. yup, hatch running...
those quail dinners were something to look forward to.
and time in the woods hunting with my pops, grandpa and eldest brother are treasured memories.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 08:24:31 pm »
Game birds, like Sadiejane's father said, are born running.  In bird-speak they use the word "precocial", or able to feed themselves and move on their own.  They usually bail on the nest within hours of hatching and never look back! The wild thing is that the eggs are all laid over a series of days, even weeks, but they all hatch within minutes of each other. 

A turkey biologist claims they are hatched knowing how good they taste to everyone and everything!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 09:33:43 pm »
...The wild thing is that the eggs are all laid over a series of days, even weeks, but they all hatch within minutes of each other. 

You know why that is JW, you're baiting me.  But I can't help myself... :-[  It's not the laying that starts the process, it's the setting.  Great design too. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 01:15:37 am »
So times you don't know how fortunate you are until others point it out to you.  We bought our farm 12 years ago.  I've let 30 of the 50 acres grow up.  I'm fortunate to have a couple covey off quail hanging out here.  Most every morning in the deer stand I was greeted by the songs of Mr. Bob White.  It always bring a smile to my face.

I have 2 Britany Spaniels.  We rarely hunt our coveys, maybe once a year.  I usually buy some birds for our outings.

Funny thing about the timing for this topic, the weekend of the 13-15 is our annual "condo weekend"  This will be the 35th year some of us collage friends we get together for a man weekend of hunting, drinking, poker playing and lying to one another.  We will release 100 quail and hunt them in 4 cast.  What's cool is now many of us have sons who are "of age" and will be joining us.  I can't wait.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 05:13:53 am »
"my grandpa always said quail hatched running. "   

Johnny Carson quipped that CA had the only state bird (CA quail) that" jogs instead of flying".

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »
...The wild thing is that the eggs are all laid over a series of days, even weeks, but they all hatch within minutes of each other. 

You know why that is JW, you're baiting me.  But I can't help myself... :-[  It's not the laying that starts the process, it's the setting.  Great design too. :)

George

Biologists have recorded the chicks of several species of birds "pipping" at varying rates of speed in the days before hatching.  The closer to the hatch event they start to synchronize their pipping.  They hypothesize that this allows them to hatch all at once and get off the next fast before a predator snacks on them and also allows Mamma bird to know when to get ready.   Yeah, birds are pretty cool.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:46 am »

This thread really takes me back home and back 30 years. 
Dad and I kept track of the numbers of quail in each covey on each farm we hunted.  We kept track of how many we killed and when the coveys were reduced a bit we left them alone the rest of the year, moving on to other coveys on other farms.   
We hunted a couple places that were so thick and nasty that we had difficulty harvesting any even with lots of effort.  Often we came out of those thorn patches having shed more blood than the covey.  Plum brush and multiflora rose extracted a price.   Dad always loved to dive in the thick stuff with the dogs and let the others walk the outsides. 
Band-aids and mecurochrome(sp) were always in the pick-up.
I learned to cook because of quail-well sort of.  I had walked from home with my brit. spaniel and managed to shoot a few bobwhites.  I came home and cleaned them and was looking forward to Mom cooking them for supper.  She said she and dad were going to play cards at some friends.  I told her I had hoped that she would cook them for supper.  She said, "You can do it!"  She outlined the method for quail in sage and onion stuffing.  It started me on one of my fondest hobbies-wild game cooking.
I remember going on many a Saturday trip and stopping for lunch at some abandoned farmstead.  Ham and cheese on rye were a favorite and home canned apple cider(grandad had lots of apple trees), and a snickers bar for desert.  Dad had a thermos of coffee.  IF it was warm we laid out in the shade, if it was cool we laid out in the sun, and if it was winder we got out of the wind or sat in the truck.  Grand times.   At that time you could go around the Nebraska country side and stop in at farm house and ask permission to hunt-usually getting it if you gave them your name and hometown. 
Thanks for starting this  thread and all the contributions.  I have enjoyed it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:18 pm »

This thread really takes me back home and back 30 years. 
Dad and I kept track of the numbers of quail in each covey on each farm we hunted.  We kept track of how many we killed and when the coveys were reduced a bit we left them alone the rest of the year, moving on to other coveys on other farms.   
We hunted a couple places that were so thick and nasty that we had difficulty harvesting any even with lots of effort.  Often we came out of those thorn patches having shed more blood than the covey.  Plum brush and multiflora rose extracted a price.   Dad always loved to dive in the thick stuff with the dogs and let the others walk the outsides. 
Band-aids and mecurochrome(sp) were always in the pick-up.
I learned to cook because of quail-well sort of.  I had walked from home with my brit. spaniel and managed to shoot a few bobwhites.  I came home and cleaned them and was looking forward to Mom cooking them for supper.  She said she and dad were going to play cards at some friends.  I told her I had hoped that she would cook them for supper.  She said, "You can do it!"  She outlined the method for quail in sage and onion stuffing.  It started me on one of my fondest hobbies-wild game cooking.
I remember going on many a Saturday trip and stopping for lunch at some abandoned farmstead.  Ham and cheese on rye were a favorite and home canned apple cider(grandad had lots of apple trees), and a snickers bar for desert.  Dad had a thermos of coffee.  IF it was warm we laid out in the shade, if it was cool we laid out in the sun, and if it was winder we got out of the wind or sat in the truck.  Grand times.   At that time you could go around the Nebraska country side and stop in at farm house and ask permission to hunt-usually getting it if you gave them your name and hometown. 
Thanks for starting this  thread and all the contributions.  I have enjoyed it.

I heard recently that in the last 10 years the number of upland game hunters had declined nationally by 40%.  The main reason given was that they could find nowhere to hunt.  Makes you sad to think that in 30 years the memories of when they were a kid will be things like how his Dad's hollering at the football team on the 82" bigscreen interrupted the texting session with his "friends" from social media.