Author Topic: popular?????  (Read 1394 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
popular?????
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:34:55 pm »
ok would popular boards from homedepot make a fairly good bow i know maple and red oak would be better just want the concensus of what you guys think?
doc

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: popular?????
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:39:29 pm »
Poplar would be my last choice for a board bow, just one man's opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:40:46 pm »
Poplar boards are popular for making arrows, though!  ;)  They are not good for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »
When you consider how much pine they sell compared to the hardwoods, I think pine is the most popular. 

I think I've seen a few poplar stave bows posted here over the years.  I'm not so sure it's not possible.  I'd start 2 1/4 inches wide, make it extra long, and back it before even starting on floor tillering.  At least it's not terribly expensive wood. 

Now for the pure speculation part of this post.  Given: typically the more dense the wood within it's own species the better the bow from that wood.  Maybe, along with choosing for grain orientation, you should consider the heft of the boards as you are meticulously disassembling some poor miminum wage lumberyard clerk's hard work of stacking. 

As usual, if you are gonna spend the time on it, document your progress and post the pics!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mspink

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »
Hey, I havemade a couple poplar board bows from home depot. One broke because I made the tips too thin ten inches from the tip. It would still be shooting if I hadnt narrowed so dramatically. Go ahead and try it. Its cheap anyway. Just make sure to get a dense piece. Should work out and if not then its at least some good practice.  I say give it a shot!
Aim small miss small!

Offline mspink

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »
Forgot to mension the dimensions. It was 1 3/4" wide to mids ands was 50 lbs @ 28".
Aim small miss small!

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »
Im sure it can be done ( and i am sure it has been) but i would pick up some red oak or hickory. Poplar is a very soft wood

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
Im sure it can be done ( and i am sure it has been) but i would pick up some red oak or hickory. Poplar is a very soft wood

Yeah, it's not good and hard like...oh, I dunno...yew!   >:D 

For every rule in making bows there is at least one or more exceptions.  I believe studying these exceptions gives you a better understanding of the rules. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 08:07:32 pm »
  I have made several poplar bows and seen quite a few others. Failure rate is not all that bad but could be better. Always surprises me how much guys are getting out of poplar even though it is a soft wood. Best to go long and fairly wide, like maybe 72" and 2" wide. If you notice chrysals stop and trash the bow. Not all poplar behaves the same.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 08:47:37 pm »
With good boards of maple and oak as easily available as poplar, the choice is a no-brainer for me. As mentioned, save poplar (aspen) for arrows.