Author Topic: Anyone else into air rifles?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Anyone else into air rifles?
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »
Okay I know Nomadic Pirate is...he has a rather impressive assortment he's got laid out in this thread:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,19504.0.html

I know a few more people are into them but maybe, like me, they can't bring themselves to post their "jalopies" next to his "Ferraris" haha.

I used to have a large collection of guns but it seems they've all gone away sometime or another...not sure what happened to the lot of them.  All I have left is a Beeman RS1 and a Benjamin Titan GP.  Both are .22 caliber and shoot in the 850fps range.

I just got the Titan.  Normally about $200 at Wal-Mart, but I snagged it after I talked a manager into selling it for half off since a thief had robbed all the paperwork and scope and accessories out of the box.  I couldn't turn it down at that point.  It's a nitrogen piston powered gun, as opposed to a spring.  My RS1 is about as loud and has the same recoil as my Ruger 10/22, but this Titan has almost no recoil and is whisper quiet.  All you hear is the pellet hitting the target.

I get a lot of questions about size and weight.  The one on bottom is the Benjamin Titan, then the Beeman RS1, then my Savage 110 7mm Magnum.  The Savage is almost as big as the air rifles, and nearly 3lbs lighter than the Beeman.  Even the Titan is heavier than the real rifle, though not by much.  Just kind of itneresting since most people think of air rifles as light, little things.

Anyway...anyone else?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Dictionary

Re: Anyone else into air rifles?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:42:23 pm »
i've had 2 and shot a couple of daisy ones when i was younger. They are good fun. Unfortunately one away to some kid spontaneously and the other one i cant remember what happened to that one. I was a decent shot. Never did take it after squirrels or rabbits though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »
I got a couple of cheap Crosmans... Namely the 2260 and the 1377..... I have customized both though with new wood grips for the 1377, (my target pistol) and have dropped a new valve into the 2260 to put it in the 12ft pound range for hunting... I love those two little guns as much as I love my .22 plus they are dirt cheap to shoot.

Jon

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »
Wow if you think the 2260 was cheap I'd hate to know what you think of mine lol

I'm not a big C02 fan, but I like the style of the 2260...mainly the barrel and breech.  That gun can be a damned monster with the right tweaks.  I've even seen some converted to PCP's that will drive 50~100fpe.  I've never been a big fan of gas cartridge guns but I wouldn't be upset if I had one.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »
Haha.. I bought the seventy dollar 2260, dropped in a $30 dollar steel breech and mounted up a $30 dollar scope... Next came sling studs and a homemade sling... The for kicks i added the $50 dollar valve to get some more performance... The main reason I got the gun was because of all the aftermarket parts you can get for the model.... Hopefully 15 years or so from know I'll have on off those monsters... next on my list is to reshape and refinish the stock and re-blue the barrel...  ;D ;D I really do love that gun..  >:D >:D Haha..

Jon

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:12:46 am »
I keep up with the advances in airguns and have used them all my life. Got a couple
nice air pistols but my favorite "pellet gun" is the Benjamin 309 given to me for my 10th
birthday, forty eight years ago. Killed a dozen or so squirrels with it this year and the
robins are just now arriving so the gun will put more meat on the table soon.

Lane

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:52 am »
  I  live about  20miles  from crossman arms beeman Benjamen  crossman are pretty much the same company we are loyal to that brand around here  beeman had a .25 cal I like now the old 760's are great  I have a mod 1377 pistol that has many tree rat kills but  I got  a gammo express 22/22shot gun combo,! It's like a1,000 fps rifle with an alloy pellet.  The shot gun will take a tree rat about 30 feet away I keep  going to that when timeallows   man  I'm  a sucker  for air rifles Jeff

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:31 am »
i had a crossman 760 my whole life until i finally wore it out.i now shoot a gamo varmit hunter.i really like it alot.i've took 6 big coons attic hunting.you have some nice rifles there.thanks for the look,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

youngbowyer

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 05:16:23 pm »
i have a ruger airhawk in .177 caliber. so far i have shot 5 or 6 squirrels and 1 rabbit

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:56 pm »
Yes Sir!

Nice looking Pieces...

I shoot an older RWS Diana in .177
No problem taking a dove by the head at about 30 yards... open sights.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX