Author Topic: My first to finish  (Read 5621 times)

Offline AJMag

My first to finish
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:31:47 am »
Howdy fellers. I'm almost done with all my finishing touches on my first completed bow. Red oak board bow, 71 ntn, was around 35-40 lbs at 27" before finishing touches, haven't measured since then yet. This was my second attempt at making a bow, no need to tell ya what happened to the first. :o  Wasn't too pleased with the way the camo clothe turned out, but it still looks better than the drywall tape i used to back it originally.  I used a couple pieces of squirrel zonker  strips I have for fly tying on the arrow rest that still needs a slight trimming. Also used cocobolo for tip overlays.  I couldn't resist that wood since i have so much of it on knife and pistol grips.  All in all I really enjoy it. It's a hoot to shoot so far, and even more to build.  Already tillering number two and beginning my search for a raw stave to try chasing some rings. I think I'm hooked.  I hope the pics work and please give some critique.

Offline mighty joe

Re: My first to finish
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:35:29 am »
nice looking bow there.
the only easy day was yesterday and that's how i like it.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:02:57 am »
Hay great looking bow, congratulations ...welcome to pa and the addiction,fyi around these parts we require a full draw pic.aka the money shot >:D love to see it ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 05:35:27 am »
Looks fine to me, brace looks very good.  I'd also like to see full draw.  I just did my first cloth backing too, and will do it again.  Welcome to the addiction and to PA. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:18:11 am »
Yeah, good job done.Wish my first looked like this!
Uwe

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:53:51 am »
AJ, very nicely done sir, looks a whole bunch better than my first one, Take that baby out after some critters, eh?
rich

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:09 am »
AJ,

One thing you might want to consider on your next one is to put the handle lacing on the back of the bow instead of the belly.  Especially as you go up in draw weight I think you'll find the lacing uncomfortable in your hand.  Again, beautiful first bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 11:52:33 am »
Good job AJ.You're off to a great start. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:21:38 pm »
congrats to you for getting your first shooting bow! It takes allot of people allot more than one broken one before they get a shooter(including me) so great job and i would love to see a full draw picture.

Offline AJMag

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. I knew there would be some requests for the full draw and I'll try to get some taken later when there's someone around to take them for me. I was a little to anxious to show it off and didn't want to wait.  I was very confident the moment I found the board I used, that it would last a while, this next one I'm working on I have a feeling will see the fireplace.  If I'm right then I know I've learned something valuable. Anyway thanks for the tips and kind words, more pics to come.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 03:17:04 pm »
Thats a nice looking first bow there! I agree the brace looks very nice, What kind of fabrick did you use? I have some camo 1.1 ripstop nylon I was thinking about trying but not sure it would hold up. Great work and look forward to the money shot!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline AJMag

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:38:12 pm »
Well here's what I got. I was trying to get the shot in my hands but no one will be around to take it so this is it. It looks pretty different through the camera's eye, I see a couple spots I didn't see before, but no complaints.

Elk, I'm not 100% sure, I think it's just a thick cotton. I just bolted in and out of a fabric store before there was any blackmail evidence that I was there ;D  The bow is backed with two layers of drywall tape for the support. After I tillered it and shot it for a while I put the clothe on purely for looks then re worked it. I wasn't sure if adding glue and fabric over the back would change any off the elasticity, but it seems fine so far.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 07:33:51 pm »
Good effort and it's pretty good fun when you get that first one shooting isn't it :)
Your tiller is pretty good, to help you with your next bows there is a spot on the outer 1/3 of the right hand limb where it's bending too much, can you see it? The thing to remember is that it was probably only a couple of scrapes too many that caused that. Don't worry though these little things become easier to spot the more you do.
Well done.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 07:42:13 pm »
Very nice bow. Graet tiler for your first bow. Congratulations, bet you are already planning the next one ;)

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 07:52:20 pm »
i think you did a great job.your tiller looks better than my first.i can't wait to see your next one,Steve
Middletown,Ohio