Author Topic: should i proceed?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline sadiejane

should i proceed?
« on: January 19, 2012, 03:35:18 pm »
ok so i have this old osage fence post
actually just a smallish stave outta it.
its a lovely piece of wood, rich and dark all the way thru(prolly 100+ yrs old)
but in very rough shape. some damage from rot(i think i can skin down below that)
and ultra thin rings-like 1/16 at most, many 1/32"!
rather shortish-about 52" but it looks like about 2-3" will need to come off one end.

so...was thinking of taking it to a ring(if at all possible and may not be)
leaving it as wide as possible and sinewing it.
even if i cant pull off a perfect ring do you guys think i can make a short draw, light weight bow outta it?
did i mention it has numerous tiny knots the entire length?(much easier to see from the inside)
and checks here and there
or do ya think i'd be wasting my time and sinew?
i'm willing to give it a go if there is any chance of pulling a bow outta there

wild women don't get the blues

Offline Bevan R.

Re: should i proceed?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »
Sounds like a great learning project if nothing else. I know George likes working old post.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »
I think you could pull a bow out of it the hard part would be chasing a ring on rings that tight. I am no expert on Osage but I have a Osage stave John Strunk just gave me and it is very tight rings also I plan on backing it, not sure with what yet. Got any pictures of it? I wouldnt think a little checking here and there wouldn't hurt anything as long as they run with the grain. Probably better wait for the Osage pros to weigh in on this one. Good luck

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:43:05 pm »
You won't know until you try.  ::)   52" is short so I'd get it bending at least up to the handle if not through it. Save the sinew until you see if it is going to work out for you first. As long as you are learning it is not a waste of time!  ;)
  A temporary rawhide backing might be enough protection until you get it tillered.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »
Yes Ma'am!

Even though my bow building history is fairly short, I vote for giving her a Go!

In a similar situation I urge myself to, "Study it well", "Take My Time", and "Proceed with Determination".

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX