Author Topic: I cant take it any more!!  (Read 2504 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

I cant take it any more!!
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »
 All. This ossage!  I want a couple. Ossage.  'You finnish bows' its so scarce I'm afraid of messing up. What I like is. 62" 64" bows around 50# max I have stuff to trade. All kinds of things no stone no leather just let me. Know.  Thanks Jeff W 

Offline toomanyknots

Re: I cant take it any more!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:32:38 pm »
I'm not sure what you want. Do you want a stave, or a bow? What do you mean by "you finish bows"?.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »
  Sorry  something,  roughed out to  a little past  brace height  that  needs enough  Finnish work to call my own??    all I can get is white  wood,,scrape the bark off  and go  Osage is  so scarce I'm  afraid to go it all  by my self (chicken) and to big a  gamble. I hope this makes sense Jeff

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:42:15 pm »
Where abouts do you live at?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:22:20 pm »
  Upstate  New York,  (the real upstate) in the fingerlakes  the north end of Seneca lake,   midway  between  Rochester  and Syracuse  JEFFW

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:57:22 pm »
Huh,

I'm only about a hour away from you.. Maybe we could meet and talk about bows sometime...

Jon

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »
  COOL   617 !!!!!  what  direction?????  there  are  a  few of  us. JEFFW   Pm  ME some time,,,

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:17:56 pm »
Does this osage bow have to be straight?? >:D  Wouldn't you just love the process if bending and untwisting yellow wood?? 8)

I have some osage that's about a year down.  I can rough out a bow for you if you want.  I'd seal the back and you'd need to let it dry out a little once it gets up there where it's drier.  If  you'd rather something more seasoned  I have some seasoned billets I could splice up.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 11:01:43 pm »
   GEEEZZEE!!!  George,,I've  seen  some of  your  work (awesome!)  and  I've  seen  the  raw  materials  :o  but  do  you  think  I'd  have a  shot?  I think  I could  bend  and  twist,   but  the  whole  chasing  rings  on  such  a hard to get  commodity :-\  maybe  the rough out version  may  be the trick ?   what do you  think?   BTW,  how  hard  is it to make  some   2"w x3\4" thick x 36"or 40" slats?  maybe  we should  pm  and  discus this?  thanks Jeff

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:19 am »
I don't think you should try a real crooked stave for your first osage bow.  I can take the stave to a growth ring if you're worried about that step, no problem.  You just tell me where you want the stave/bow to be and I'll go that far.  You'll have to let me know what you have to trade.

Osage is nearly impossible to rip once it's seasoned.  I had some green osage milled with a portable sawmill, it was costly.  I had 5 boards cut, I think it cost me $70.  I owe Cameroo some board staves from that wood.  It did check some so I'm not getting as many board staves as I hoped I would.  Here's what getting osage milled looks like.

I guess next time I'll try spraying the boards with shellac to see if it stops the checking.  The boards looks like this now.

Yes, we should probably go to email.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 12:04:38 am »
PM sent.   George
St Paul, TX