Author Topic: compressive strength of blackthorn???  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Dazv

compressive strength of blackthorn???
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:32:22 pm »
Hi guys!!!

So i would like to make a Californian Indian style bow around 45 inches long. The stave i hope to is blackthorn but as i have never used this wood for bows before i was wondering if you guys think it would be strong enough in compression to withstand this design? I know it is not yew but i really don't want to go and cut more wood when i already have a stave of suitable length.

Thanks so much

Darren

mikekeswick

Re: compressive strength of blackthorn???
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »
Go for it. Blackthorn is very good in compression. How wide is your stave?

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:17:05 pm »
Its around 2 1/2 inches but the cross section of the stave is more eye shaped than round, i could get a 2 inch wide bow from it.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:53:53 pm »
Dazv, the "eye" shape or lenticular is actually about how you will want to shape the bow as you tiller it so at 2 1/2" I think you will be in pretty good shape.  Be sure to post up some progress pics as you go, I'd love to see how it goes as I have a couple nice stands of stick hawthorn which I think is fairly similar in properties...

Good Luck~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:02:26 am »
Blackthorn is pretty dense so no need to go wider than 1 5/8 ths when roughing out. Go for the flatter 'sides' for back and belly.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:12:50 am »
thanks for the advice guys. I will try to post some pics when i start the new bow but computers are not really my thing but i will try.