Author Topic: biscuits and gravy???  (Read 13867 times)

Offline sonny

Re: biscuits and gravy???
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:27 am »
I'll throw in another biscuit variation- tomato biscuits,, which I had never had 'til a buddy cooked some one day
I went up there to hunt. instead of using milk in the mix you substitute tomato juice. biscuits come out pink and
yummy!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:57 am »
George, those were some good lookin biscuits, we also had venison chili tonight.  Turned out perty good.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:04 pm »
Hamburger , tomato, sausage, chocolate, venison, beef, pork any way you look at gravy goes well with just about everything!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43:49 pm »
I love chili.  There are soooo many variations, chili with or without beans, white chili, I've even had it with pasta.  Fact of the matter, I would not need the chili if George's wife held out a plate of those cheese biscuits.  Those are the tears of angels fresh from the oven!

This is fast becoming my alltime favorite threads on here!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:33 am »

Mullet I remember Skeeters Big biscuits!  Great place!  Is it still there?  I hope so!  The way I make my biscuits and gravy, I usually just use toast as it is quicker, and I make lousy biscuits, but I make fantastic gravy for it!  At least I think so, and the guys at the stations I worked at liked it!  I use pork sausage, or if I don't have any, I just use ground pork, or lean hamburger, and at salt and pepper, and sage, and little cayenne pepper, and Cajun seasoning, and then mix it all together well.  Then I dice up a sweet onion, and some garlic cloves, and saute' them, till they are starting to just about glaze, and then dump in the sausage, or homemade sausage, and stir it all around in the onions and diced garlic, and then when the sausage is cooked, I pour in a cup or more of half and half, depending on how much I am cooking, and stir it all together, and then I take a coffee cup, and put in about a table spoon of flour, or corn starch, and pour in half and half, and stir it up, and when the half and half, and sausage is bubbling, I pour in the cup of flour and cream mixture and it thickens up the gravy, and I sprinkle some granulated garlic powder, and some Cajun seasoning in, to taste, and depending on who I am making it for, sometimes I will put some crushed pepper flakes in also.  I then pour it over a couple of fried eggs, sitting on toast, in a large plate with somewhat of a raised edge, so the gravy doesn't run off, but the flour and cream usually thickens it up enough that it doesn't run much, you can regulate the thickness of the gravy, by putting in less flour and milk, cream, water, whatever you choose to use.  You can season it with salt and pepper to taste.  Since this dish is not the healthiest, I try to cook with coconut oil when I can, as it is the hands down healthiest cooking oil there is.  Not Palm oil, it is another oil all together and is to be avoided at all costs!  It comes from the Betel palm nut, which is a known carcinogen!  The Betel palm is better known here as the Aricca palm.  Anyway use whatever oil you like.  I stay away from soy, corn, and Canola oil, which actually comes from the Rape seed, but Canola sounds better.  Anyway, my reason for avoiding those oils, is that 96 per cent of all soybeans grown in the US is genetically modified!  No matter what bull Monsanto says, it is not healthy, all independent testing has proved it unsafe time and again.  Anyway, the GMO soy is called roundup ready, meaning it can be sprayed with roundup and survive.  But the round up kills the soil, and is absorbed into the plant, and soybean.  Approximately the same percentage of corn, and canola (rape seed) is also GMO product also.  But anywho whatever you choose, that is my recipe for sausage and gravy.  The only home made English breakfast I had was in Hindon, out side of London, and it was stewed tomatoes, beans (pork n beans style) and  fried eggs.  It was very good! ;)  I wish I could afford to go back.  If the American biscuit is a bit confusing, just use toast, it is what I use most of the time any way.  We had it in the Army, but called it SOS.  ( #hit on a shingle! ):P :P  Still it was one of the more tasty treats the slopped on your plate.  There is also a "Red Eye" gravy over here, and it is basically made from the pan scrapings from cooking slabs of ham.  Enjoy!   

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 08:23:32 am »

Sadie Jane you definitely don't want to know about Mullet's Wife Cathy's buttermilk cocktail!  :o :P :P  I lose my appetite every time I think about it.  At first I thought he was kidding!  It's not something you want to hear about after a night of imbibing so to speak! :P :P
But on a more tasty thread, back to the biscuits, when I was a kid, for breakfast my Mother would sometimes fix chipped beef with creamy white gravy on toast.  Oh, man was that good!  Sometimes for supper, if we had been out, or it was late, instead of cooking a big meal for supper, she would cook some smoked sausage, and make what my Parents both called flour bread, essentially a big biscuit, and we would pour some cane, or sometimes if we splurged at the super market, Maple syrup, on the plate, and then forked a section of sausage, and rubbed it in the syrup, and tore off a hunk of flour bread, and chowed down.  Sometimes she would make biscuits and gravy.  When we went hunting together, My Brother and my self would get some squirrels, and she would cook them in a gravy, with onions, and potatoes, or sometimes she would cook them like chicken and dumplings, always had the biscuits there! ;)  Fond memories! :)

Wayne 

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 01:52:06 pm »
Dazv,

Biscuits and gravy would be worth the trip across the pond, alone. haha. You are definitely missing out if you haven't had it before.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »
I suppose born and raised in Michigan, you might call me a yankee.  But my family was very old fashioned and didn't worry so much about heart stopping food.  As a result, I've become quite a cook.  Every year at Selfbow camp and other camping events througout the year, I whip up a batch of them biscuits & gravy.  Here's a very simple method of how I do it:  I have a set of fire irons.  More difficult would be to substitute the ready mades for a tube of Pop-N-Fresh Grands Flakey Buttermilk Biscuits and bake in a dutch oven, over the fire.

1 - Tube ground sausage (mild)
1 - Tube ground sausage (spicy)
1 - Quart Heavy whipping cream
1 - Package ready made dinner rolls from the bakery section
1/4 - Cup (give or take) Hungry Jack "Just Add Water" Buttermilk Pancake Mix

Hanging over the fire in a cast-iron pot goes the sausage.  Cook it until done.  DO NOT DRAIN THE GREASE!  Add the entire quart of heavy whipping cream.  Cover and reheat sausage & gravy mixture over the fire.  Allow to thicken.  If thickening help is needed, add a bit of Hungry Jack "Just add water" Buttermilk pancake mix.  The mix adds a subtle but very nice flavor the the gravy.  Spoon over split rolls/biscuits and serve.  If you see me at the Classic or at the Primitive Rendezvous in Marshall, MI stop by for a taste.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 09:28:57 pm »
Sounds Tasty, but, also sounds like a Yankee version. ::) ;) But I would like to taste it at the Classic. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 11:10:52 pm »
Something about that white cream or milk gravy.  My mother could screw up a pan of warm water, but she did ok with side pork (this is what you salt/sugar cure and smoke to make bacon), mashed taters, and the cream cravy with a good touch of black pepper.  Little did I know this was Southern White Trash Cooking considering I grew up  jumping distance from the Canadian Border in Nort' Dakota.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 01:04:11 am »
Dasv, I think one thing the southern US has in common with the UK is a tradition of using ALL of the animal. One of my students brought me a gift from his family's hog butchering last week - a pan of "scrapple". Basically, all of the leftover bits of meat and organs such as kidneys, spleen, etc. are cooked with some cornmeal into a thick porridge and poured into loaf pans to cool. The product is sliced and fried. I likes mine with grape jelly or maple syrup ;) Had blood pudding (sanguanicchio) as a kid from my Italian grandpa's hog butchering.

Hope you get an authentic B&G experience someday.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:08 am »
Hate to argue with you Postman, but scrapple is considered 'Pennsylvania Dutch' not southern!
Still good though. I was raised eating it for breakfast.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:45 am »

You are correct Bevan.  But it probably tastes better with Southern Hogs...... ::) ;D ;D  I love head cheese.  Just don't care for all the chemicals the manufacturers put in it.  Scrapple I am not sure I have had, but it sounds pretty much like head cheese but with cornmeal instead of aspic.  When I was a kid, I thought it was neat, to eat a head cheese sandwhich, and as I was putting a slice on the bread , there was an eyelid, complete with eyelashes!  :o :P  Oh well, it went down without a hitch. ;)
                                                    Wayne

Offline Dazv

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »
this sounds great.

Offline Postman

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2012, 12:02:29 am »
You are right Bevan - first had it in Shippensburg PA, and I forgot down here in VA they also call it "ponhoss". Both terms used here because most of the Shenandoah valley "dutch" came down from the Cumberland valley.

They like it when I point out they are also "Come - here Yankees" ;D

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA