Author Topic: biscuits and gravy???  (Read 13864 times)

Offline Dazv

biscuits and gravy???
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »
Hi guys
I have often heard you guys out in the states talk about biscuits and gravy and the way you guys talk about it it sounds great. What is it??? Biscuits and gravy in the UK would taste nasty together so i just really want to find out what it is.

thanks guys
Darren

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: biscuits and gravy???
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:15:57 pm »
Fry up some sausage, add some flour and milk and cook it until it thickens up. Add salt and pepper to taste. (this is just the basics)  Put over biscuits.  Doesnt get much better!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
Dazv, usually it is a nice flakey buttermilk biscuit (not a UK cookie style biscuit) that is cut in half and a nice artery clogging breakfast sausage gravy poured over it. better (imho) with two eggs over easy on top to get the warm egg yolks mixed in. I do know different areas have different gravies and different biscuits. A friend of mine and I went back to Montana where he is from (we live in western Washington state now). and I ordered a plate of biscuits and gravy and got hamburger gravy(yuk). I complained to my buddy and he just looked at me weird and said he had never had sausage gravy before.  Probably my favorite style breakfast.  google it and make it sometime.  I would love a nice UK breakfast sometime. blood sausage and all. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:22:37 pm »
OK Dazv,  Here is how I do it.

You make biscuts w/flour, salt, baking powder, butter and milk.   You roll em out and cut them out w/ a glass or something round and bake them. You can also use toast for this part of biscuts and gravy too. 

Get you some ground breakfast sausage, pork sausage/ sage and slt and pep will do too.  you brown the meat, pour out most of fat but leave at least a couple of tablespoons.  Some remove the meat and add it back later, but I just leave it in there. turn the heat way down and sprinkel flour around on the fat and scraping until it is mostly absorbed.  Now add about a cup or so of milk and keep stirring w/ the heat on low.  make sure you stirr it often or it will start to stick to the bottom.  Keep stirring and cooking until it thickens up to gravy. 5-10 minutes  Pour on biscuts or toast and eat.  I make it out of bacon sometimes, you can also make it out of ham, you can also add coffee to it and make red eye gravy which is darker.  This is a white gravy, not a brown gravy and our biscuts are big and fluffy, not flat and hard like biscotti.  I add hotsauce on top too.

Good luck and if you want a more detailed receipe, PM me, good luck, dpgratz
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:26:36 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »
Biscuits and gravy originated as a southern dish, or at least it's always been associated with southern cooking.   I think it's one of those foods that originated from necessity, but has moved into the mainstream and is showing up in resturants and homes far outside Dixie.
Part of your confusion may be the whole US vs UK english thing.   Those things you call biscuits in the UK are called cookies here.  Just to be clear American "biscuits" are more or less unsweetened scones.  The gravy is as others describe not the thin, brown, curry flavored stuff that you might think of in the UK. 

Now if you want strange you should try grits and gravy.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »
Man that stuff sounds good i can't imagine it looks good but i bet it tastes amazing.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »
Biscuits and gravy originated as a southern dish, or at least it's always been associated with southern cooking.   I think it's one of those foods that originated from necessity, but has moved into the mainstream and is showing up in resturants and homes far outside Dixie.
Part of your confusion may be the whole US vs UK english thing.   Those things you call biscuits in the UK are called cookies here.  Just to be clear American "biscuits" are more or less unsweetened scones.  The gravy is as others describe not the thin, brown, curry flavored stuff that you might think of in the UK. 

Now if you want strange you should try grits and gravy.
Ron
What's grits and gravy???? curry flavored gravy sounds disgusting.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:38:48 pm »
Dazv, usually it is a nice flakey buttermilk biscuit (not a UK cookie style biscuit) that is cut in half and a nice artery clogging breakfast sausage gravy poured over it. better (imho) with two eggs over easy on top to get the warm egg yolks mixed in. I do know different areas have different gravies and different biscuits. A friend of mine and I went back to Montana where he is from (we live in western Washington state now). and I ordered a plate of biscuits and gravy and got hamburger gravy(yuk). I complained to my buddy and he just looked at me weird and said he had never had sausage gravy before.  Probably my favorite style breakfast.  google it and make it sometime.  I would love a nice UK breakfast sometime. blood sausage and all. :)
You just cant beat a full English breakfast or i think the best is to make a beakfast bap which is everything in the full English beakfast but in a sandwich.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »
I had biscuits and gravy for breakfast this morning. MMMMMMMMMM  I don't know if you can get Bisquick baking mix over there, but you can make some incredible biscuits from that real easy.
The biscuits are usually buttermilk biscuits, and the gravy is country gravy with or without sausage in it. You can make it as easy or complicated as you want.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dazv

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 04:15:13 pm »
ummmm it dosen't look to tasty but i bet it is great i have to give it a go.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »
I worked with a woman from Liverpool and she almost lost it when I was waxing poetic about "biscuits and gravy".  When I finally was able to show her what it was she announced it should be called "Scones and Sausage Sauce". 

She's quite right about the last part, technically it is gravy if it contains only the drippings of the cooked meat.  When cream/milk is added it then becomes a sauce. 

I can imagine some poor Brit thinking we pour meat drippings on chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 10:35:32 pm »
Biscuits and gravy is one of my favorites! I like grits too wish is essentially corn meal mush (not quite)  But if'n y'all wann try somethin different try choclate gravy made with nestle quick.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:43:41 pm »
Dazv,
You better tell them what all is a 'Full English Breakfast' :laugh: :laugh:
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »
ummmm it dosen't look to tasty but i bet it is great i have to give it a go.
WHAT?  That makes me hungry!!   We are blessed to live here I guess!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does