Author Topic: hophornbeam vs hickory  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Bitterguy

hophornbeam vs hickory
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:44:15 pm »
So bill and seabass will be coming over to teach my the fine art of bow making sometime. And bill gave me a choice between hickory and hophorn. I was just wondering the pros and cons of both. Thank you in advance for your help!
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: hophornbeam vs hickory
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:06:07 am »
You can't go wrong either way.  Both are good bow wood
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:55:40 am »
I agree with Clint. Both are very good bow woods. Both work similar too. I think HHB might be a little less moisture sensative but problaly hardly noticable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:15:19 am »
Hophornbeam is dense, hard and tough stuff - it works excellently when heat treated. The back is likely to be rippled so you just want to remove the bark for the back because you just aren't chasing a ring with it... ;) eg. be very careful when removing the bark/cambium
Hickory is not quite as dense in general and will need to be a shade wider. It is especially good in tension but not so great in compression so it's a very good idea to trap the back of a hickory bow eg. make the back narrower than the belly. The idea being that you are playing to the woods strengths. It's highly unlikely to break on you. Also good when heat treated.
When making bows remember that you need to understand the particular woods properties before just making it to set dimensions. Most woods when designed properly will shoot the same speed. Some woods make it easier to get a good bow because they don't need 'special' treatment but that doesn't mean x is better than y is better than z etc...

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:57:35 pm »
Read the last three posts :)

That's why I love this place!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)