Author Topic: Almost Funny  (Read 1076 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Almost Funny
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:44:26 am »
I've have messed up so many points trying to notch it's almost funny.  I broke 2 tonight (one I dropped and it broke when it landed... :'() before I got a nice one to the point of notching.  I had 2 nice thin notches going and then, as usual, I knocked off the corner of the point.  The point was so wide I figured I'd just continue notching and the next notching flake I took removed the entire edge on that side.  It's like a flute that goes the entire length of the point, only on the side,  I don't know how I do this... ::)

I still have enough width to get a point, but I called it a night before I broke something else. :D

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

Re: Almost Funny
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:05:59 am »
I had almost the same problem today.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline iowabow

Re: Almost Funny
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:32:52 am »
Hey G I will do a set of drawing explaining how I notch so as to prevent what you are describing.
I think we all had the same problem at one time.  I will try to describe the process and the drawings will clear it up. 
1  when I start I use a pencil to make where the notches are going to be.
2 I make sure that platform is ready for the first flake to be removed.  I take a very small and very light flake
3. I take 2 more small flake from that same notch in the corners.  Removing the inside corners prevents the opposite  side flake from popping off the ears or widening the notch.  Now flip and do the same on the other side but with a little more power.  I said a little more.  You can increase the power as you move in for two reasons.  One the stone is getting thicker and two you are not at as close to the edge so the likelihood of a flake making its way back is diminished

Conclusion. Aim small miss small.  Same idea small flakes prevent big problems.  This will prepare the  notch for a more powerful flake removal on the other side.   
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!