Author Topic: STANDING UP OR LAYING DOWN?  (Read 1477 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
STANDING UP OR LAYING DOWN?
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:16:52 pm »
I have more staves than I ever have and storage space is at a premium now. I always laid my staves on the floor to dry/season. Here is my question. Is it okay to leave them stood up againt a wall while they dry? I never needed to worry about this before ;D and something tells me they will twist and warp MORE than the usual. Anybody have any experience with standing staves?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: STANDING UP OR LAYING DOWN?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »
I've never layed my staves down. Except on a table for the titebond on the ends to dry. I really don't know though if it causes more twist when it dry's. I have heard that leaving the log halfed for a couple months and then quartering the staves out can help insure against deflex, but I don't really know. I quarter most everything just cause I'm a wimp and don't feel like carrying out a big half log out the woods...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »
I stand them up in the drying box,I don't think I've had trouble with twist. Most of the pics I see of peoples work shops show there stave's horizontal,so that's probably best. More knowledgeable opinions than mine are sure to follow...,Ron 

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »
I don't think it matters one way or the other in stave form Pearly. But once you start working on a stave where it had been standing I think it wise to let the m/c equalize in both limbs by laying flat before bending limbs.

Another thing that would help with overcrowding is to good ahead and send mine ;D.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:41 pm »
I always keep my WIP bows under our bed when Im building them. I guess I will keep my stash stashed as is for now. Yours is shipping next week for certain Artsy. I got thee best billet in the batch picked out for you pal.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:50:35 pm »
Pearlie, I've always left my staves standing against a wall in my shop. While working on the stave or bows they are either clamped in the vise of on my tablesaw where my unfinished bows are.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nlester

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »
Won't the moisture run down hill??  Meaning one end would be drier than the other??  Inquiring minds want to know.  :)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
I most often lay horizontal. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:19:26 pm »
I lay my staves down as well. Even when clamped to the reflex form a month,then it's up into my haybarn rafters for seasoning,still horizontal. JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline druid

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 02:31:26 pm »
All of my staves are against wall but it is not totaly good: air moisture can be twice higher on bottom than on the top of the staves- it makes them drying not uniform. But it is not important too much- when I make them near-to-bow shape I place them horizontaly few days in enough dry environment and moisture in stave become uniform.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »
I'll haul them home and properly store them so no harm comes to them !
Guy
only a minimum fee for storage !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 04:07:33 pm »
Sounds good guy. I will load them up tonite and bring them to Martys with me. Hopefully shipping doesnt kill you when I need one sent my way!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »
Good deal Pearly. Will feel good to have something to work on. Even if'n I can't bend 'er for a while, still a lot of up front work to do. Thanks man........Art