Author Topic: Closure on German Crossbow  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Dane

Closure on German Crossbow
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:41 am »
Hi, folks. I've been MIA for a while, but keeping busy. A while back I had a thread about building a medieval style crossbow. The bow is finished now, and performed far beyond my expectations. Because it was a test bed to try new ideas, I have retired it and will utilize the prod (bow), stirrrup and tickler in a future project. Im well along now on a new Central European sporting crossbow (armbrust), and if anyone is interested, I can start a new topic.

For those who were following the course of the German thread, I appoligize for letting the ball drop. Here are a few photos of the weapon. It threw it's bolts very well, was accurate, and fun. A number of folks also tried it and had fun playing medieval. Overall, I feel that even if I never make a bow again (I make one every other year now or so), I expect to be messing about with these weapons for a long time. I recently built a Chinese repeating crossbow that is an excellent little toy. I have a late Roman period crossbow in the planning stage now.

And now, the photos. of the German and one of the repeater.  Feel free to ask any questions.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Closure on German Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:35:14 am »
Good looking rig,very cool and nice work. :) Welcome back ,hadn't heard from you in a while.  :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:07:37 am »
Yup, crossbows are cool, keep posting.
I for one will be reading your posts.
I'm going to make a better prod for that primitive crossbow I posted a while back sometime.
Dunno if you saw that thread
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28795.0.html

But there's always plenty on the to do list (not to mention the list that Mrs Cat gererates)
Del
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:12:27 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:21 am »
Thanks, Pappy.

Del, that is a handsome weapon. The all wooden ones, the Skane style bows, are nifty. That little repeater is all wood, with bamboo bow and antler trigger, minus the 2 brass pins and 4 brass washers.

I'll start a thread on the Central European bow soon, since you and presumably others are intersted in this sort of thing.

Dane
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:33:34 am by Dane »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:43:07 am »
Glad to see you back, Dane. I'll be watching, for sure. I'd like to build one also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23:37 am »
Beautiful work Dane.  I know next to nothing about them.  What is the effective range for shooting that first one?
1’—>1’

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:06:36 pm »
Thanks, Parnell. This one is pretty light, 100# pull, and shooting 14" bolts (2 fletch,3/4" oak shafting with 120 grain heads) at about a 10.5" draw. I was getting about 120 yards maximum distance. The new one I am currently building will have a 190# draw. On this one, I was getting about 4"+ penetration on a traditional hay archery target at 25 yards.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:07:54 pm »
Thanks, Mullet. Good to be back. Wish I had your weather right now. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »
Cool crossbow, Dane. You may need it this coming year!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »
Maybe. The Myans were never wrong! :) Other reasons, I guess too. I should stock up on MREs and hunker down.

Thanks, Pat.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:01:24 am »
Thanks for the pics, I was following your thread too.  Looks like it turned out great. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:32:02 am »
George, thank you. I recall the comments you made on that older crossbow thread, and I appreciate it. I'll be starting that new crossbow topic soon, probably next week, as I have kyudo first shot training this weekend, in Cambridge. A long drive but am really looking forward to it.

Dane

Offline jpitts

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:55:17 am »
Hi Dane, good to see you back from MIA. I feel ya. Been there a lot this year. Life has gotten in the way of bow making and shooting as well. The cross bow turned out fantastic. Great job. Glad I found this thread. Better late than never I guess ;D
Would love to see that repeater shooting too.
Can't wait to see your next thread.

Jimmy
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 07:28:48 am »
Hi, Jimmy, and thanks. I do have a video of the Chinese repeater in action. I will see if I can figure out how to post that.

In the meantime, I am about to start a new thread on a new crossbow projects, since enough folks seem to want to see one.

Dane