Author Topic: Free osage staves (with free bugs too!) You have to come in get em though...  (Read 2386 times)

Offline toomanyknots

I dumped about 6 good staves worth of osage today back by the woods I got em from. I won't ship em or even go get em, but if anyone lives near hamilton ohio, ill show you where they are. They got alot of powder post beedles in the sapwood. The heartwood looks "ok" for the most part, but I ain't gonna mess with it after hearing how bad these bugs can be. I just don't wanna go trash something someone might want. Cut em in the summer, left em in the woods.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

Nice of them bugs to work so hard to get rid of the sapwood for you.  And you don't give 'em any respect. 

I wish I lived a lot closer because I'd come and rip the bark/sapwood off and split the pile with you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline toomanyknots

Man, I wish someone (would of) taken em. I just can't do the insecticide, and the bugs are pretty bad,... I woke up this morning to find a bunch of new holes all over the fresh clean side of the split I did the night before. Went and cleaned everything up and dumped em right back in the woods like an hour later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:02:55 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline bareshaft12

I wish I lived around there to,I would go get them.

Offline shawnee

In the summer, the bark and sapwood come off very easily if you do it before they dry much.  Once you get the bark and sapwood off, the borers don't bother it much at all.  You will need to seal the back and end tho to keep it from splitting and checking.

Offline Eric Krewson

Everyone who cuts osage learns the lessons about bugs, usually the hard way with ruined osage.

What I learned is to not put more osage on the ground than you can split and remove the bark and sapwood from in a week or so. No bark and sapwood, no bugs.

I also learned shellac is head and shoulders above any other sealer for staves, nothing works better.

Offline toomanyknots

Everyone who cuts osage learns the lessons about bugs, usually the hard way with ruined osage.

Well I sure have.

I also learned shellac is head and shoulders above any other sealer for staves, nothing works better.

I honest to god have never used shellac once. I would like to learn though. Mostly so I could refinish my old piece of crap guitar.