Author Topic: Backing and nock questions  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Shondy55

Backing and nock questions
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »
Hey guys,
Im making my buddy a maple board bow thats 65 inch ttt and was wondering were i could get some rawhide and how exactly you back a bow with rawhide.  i also wanted to do the overlays on the nocks with a darker type of wood but im not really sure how to do them, and was hoping you guys could help!

-Shondy
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline paulsemp

Re: Backing and nock questions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:45:41 pm »
I used to buy really big dog bones. soak them in water 3 to 4 days. unroll them. hopefully the bone you buy unrolls big enough for your backing. or just buy precut piece from archery store. apply when softened with a good soak. glue with hide glue or titebond wood glue. run finger from handle to tip to get air bubbles out.wrap with ace bandage. let dry. also if you go to your local shoe repair they may sell you thin leather that pretty much works the same way/and is much easy to work with

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:59:24 pm »
Shondy, if you go to the arcive section Medicinewheel did a tip overlay tutorioal, or you can look in Gordon's haselnut build-a-long, both are good and they are two differant styles of tip overlay's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:45:37 pm »
if you have anything to trade,i am sure some guys on here will trade some rawhide.as far as tip overlays,just glue and clamp square wood blocks of your chooseing to your tips.when dry,rasp or file to the shape you want.hope this helps,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:09 pm »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:35:08 pm »
Dog chews and the like are from heavy beef hides.  You will need to thin it down quite a bit or else it will effect the arrow speed...and not in a good way. 

A better hide would be deer, antelope, or goat.  There is an advertiser in PA named Michael Foltmer out of Colorado that sells both whole rawhides of these critters, but also bow backing strips.  A whole Antelope rawhide, shipped from Michael, is less than $45, and you got enough to back 5 bows!  If you buy just the strips, I think he charges about $20 plus postage.  I've bought a number of these hides from him and they are good quality.  Few holes in the hides, well scraped, and thinner than the cardstock you would have business cards printed on!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:45:44 pm »
How would fresh squirrel rawhide work?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:17 pm »
How would fresh squirrel rawhide work?
Have to be a bigger squirrel than we have out here. >:D
Squirrel would make a primitive bowstring if you wanted to do that.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:56:10 pm »
Squirrel hide would probably be excellent.  You would need to use a few squirrels and everywhere one hide ends and the next starts you would want to wrap with thread or sinew just to bind it down. 

Oh, and make sure the squirrel is dead first. 

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 10:46:05 pm »
Squirrel hide would probably be excellent.  You would need to use a few squirrels and everywhere one hide ends and the next starts you would want to wrap with thread or sinew just to bind it down. 

Oh, and make sure the squirrel is dead first.

Thanks  :laugh:
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:57:41 am »
When backing a board bow with rawhide, I prefer to use adb's method, which he explained in great detail in this build-along:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5129.0.html

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:53:37 pm »
Hey Cam?  I just read over that link and didn't see any backing with rawhide, it was finally backed with snakeskin.  He did show how he put a hickory backing on the bow, though.  It was worth it to see ADB's ridiculously tiny and meticulously clean shop though, even if I feel totally inadequate again. 

I did try that  technique gluing a rawhide backing on a board bow and had miserable results.  I had air and glue bubbles both, but the worst part was how the rawhide and wood kept slipping around while I was trying to clamp.  I should have someone run the camera while I do a rawhide job next time so I can post a build-along.  I've tried explaining, but pics would make it much easier. 

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 07:20:58 pm »
JW - Ya, I should have mentioned that it wasn't a rawhide backing in that link.  But I use the same technique.  I apply the rawhide before cutting the front profile of the bow, so the wood and rawhide are slightly oversized, and slippage is not an issue.  I had a few tiny air bubbles, but nothing to worry about.  I've done several bows like that.

Adb's shop has evolved out of his basement and into an actual shop since that build along.  It's still very meticulous though :)

I'd like to see your technique too if you ever get a chance.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 07:29:12 pm »
JW - Ya, I should have mentioned that it wasn't a rawhide backing in that link.  But I use the same technique.  I apply the rawhide before cutting the front profile of the bow, so the wood and rawhide are slightly oversized, and slippage is not an issue.  I had a few tiny air bubbles, but nothing to worry about.  I've done several bows like that.

Adb's shop has evolved out of his basement and into an actual shop since that build along.  It's still very meticulous though :)

I'd like to see your technique too if you ever get a chance.

It's easy, just takes three thumbs and a big toe working in perfect unison!