Author Topic: Pole Bow (winter project #1)  (Read 25374 times)

Offline Little John

Re: Pole Bow (winter project #1)
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2012, 10:58:00 pm »
Very intresting bow Pat, I am real intrested in seeing it done. You really do nice work.  Is it still holding a lot of reflex? Hope it does not start to bend too much in the handle. Good luck and again anxious to see her done.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Keenan

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2012, 11:25:43 pm »
That is looking great Pat. Very nice buildalong as well. You are cruising through those two projects really well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:40:10 am by Keenan »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2012, 01:19:55 am »
Hey Kenneth. She is still holding almost all the reflex I added. I had her braced for about 2 hours today(low brace) and when I unbraced her she came right back where she was. I didn't actually measure it but plenty good enough. I can't wait to shoot her, maybe tomorrow. I can feel her flex in the handle now.
  Thanks Keenan. I've picked up a few others too. Some I'd started before but never finished. Waiting for wood to cool or glue to dry is a good time to pick up one of those unfinished projects.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:05:26 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2012, 01:43:52 pm »
great looking bow so far Pat. glad you included the leather build up work.  love the braced profile shot btw.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Will H

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:58 pm »
That bow is turning out super great! Thanks for sharing your progress! I just love threads like this! :) well done sir!
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »
Very cool project Pat. I don't know how many of those saplings I've turned into walking sticks for people. Guess your showing us how its done. That handle set up is pretty cool too. Amazing what leather and superglue can be shaped into to. Somebodies gonna be happy.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

blackhawk

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
I just have one question....what did folks do before the invention of superglue?...I don't know if I could make a bow without the stuff...I think there's a dab of the stuff on almost everyone of my bows..lol :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2012, 11:25:08 am »
I agree. Super glue is the miracle drug of wood bow making.  I keep it handy all the time and annoint every(almost) bow I build.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2012, 12:40:34 pm »
Didn't have time to read the full post, but that's a sweet bow Pat!  I like that leather handle too.  That's a great idea.  TG partner should be thrilled!!  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2012, 01:16:23 pm »
I agree. Super glue is the miracle drug of wood bow making.  I keep it handy all the time and annoint every(almost) bow I build.

do you purchase it in bulk? all I have ever seen is the little tubes. I assume you use the 'liquid' stuff, not the 'gel'.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2012, 01:36:29 pm »
Thanks Derik.
 Bevan, I buy it is small bottles at Walmart. Locktite brand. You can see the blue bottle(s) in a few of the pics. I also buy the purple bottles with the little brush in it. You can see in a pic that I'm using the cap/brush from one bottle in the other bottle when I did the handle for easier application.
  I did have someone offer me a quart(or liter) of super glue but that never came through. I'm sure not much would go to waste.
  I have her pulling 50#@26" now. Only a few inches to go before the tillering is done. The tip allignment worked like a champ and I narrowed the tips a bit more. If it weren't raining I'd go out and begin the shoot-in. She's at full brace now and I'll let her stay braced for a few more hours. So far she's still holding a lot of her original reflex. I'm curious to see how she does after being braced for a few hours.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »
I have a few more pics since the last pics I posted here. I  shaped the tips and added leather tip overlays in a similar process as the handle riser. Here is one with a leather tip overlay added...

...with super glue added and shaped...

After I got her to normal brace height I let her "sweat" for about 2 hours then went out and shot about 15 arrows just to see how she'd shoot. She shoots well but with a little thump at my normal 26" draw. When I stretched out the thump was less.
  Here she is at regular brace height...

...and unbraced just after sweating and shooting...

...not too shabby for a 2" osage pole.  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:31 pm »
Quit being so hard on yourself Pat. I have never heard anybody call you a 2" osage pole, I would knock em' if I did pal.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:45 pm »
man i need to see more of this bow

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »
Very sweet looking 'meat maker' Pat. I have been watching this build and taking notes for future projects. Thanks!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.