Author Topic: Pole Bow (winter project #1)  (Read 25378 times)

Offline druid

Re: Pole Bow (winter project #1)
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 02:47:32 am »
Good work man, just go on!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 12:38:06 am »
I decided to add a rawhide backing just for insurance. This is a trade bow so I don't want my recipient to get a surprise.  ;D  I used TBII and deer rawhide. Once this cures out I will finish the tillering. I'll probably add snake skins for decoration but that will be later.
  Here she is looking down her length...

...and a special treatment around the knot on the edge of one limb. I used the rubber band wrap to insure good adhesion around the knot...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 01:08:16 am »
Wow! Nice Pat. I will have to try one like that some day. Looks like a nice way to make bows and use the minimum wood from a tree.

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 02:08:34 am »
Looking nice. I can't wait to see this guy tillered out. I think bows from smaller diameter trees are my favorite bows. The profile on that bow is perfect.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 10:37:15 am »
Pat, that is looking really good so far. I missed the start of this thread. Just got back back from vacation. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »
This morning the rawhide was good and hard again. The wood stove did its work.  :)  I rasped the excess rawhide from the sides and belly and sanded the belly smooth...

After I got the belly cleaned up I decided to add a shoe leather handle riser. Being that this bow will bend in the handle I use the leather because it will flex with the bow. I may add another layer later after I shape the handle.  Here is how I add the leather handle.

I first trace and cut out the shape...

I then taper both ends where it fades into the limb on my belt sander. It is a lot easier to do this before it is glued down...

Now it is time to add the glue to the leather and the bow. Note the void where the center pith was. The handle will cover this area. First I soak the leather in warm water to make it more pliable. I blot off the excess water and put the glue on it. I decided to use TBIII because of it's water proof qualities. When finally shaped I will saturate the leather with super glue.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 05:25:49 pm »
Now I wrap the handle with cloth strips and rubber bands and set it near my wood stove to dry.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »
Thats coming allong great Pat! This is gonna be a sweet bow!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »
I got the handle shaped and decided to add a small leather lam to help fill out the handle. I just glued it up so I'll have more pics tomorrow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2012, 10:53:44 am »
Man your shop is a pig pen Pat! I LOVE IT! I have come to the realization I cant keep my shop clean if I keep building bows in it, just cant happen. I dont have the luxury of a wood stove to eat my scraps, they all get hauled out in buckets.

That bow is coming aong very nicely, and easily by the looks of it. She has been nice to you so far. I cant wait to see the side of the house full draw pics pal! Ive come to love the side of your house.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2012, 11:31:13 am »
Thanks Perlie. My shop is a pig pen but that helps keep it my sanctuary!   ;)
  I'm quite pleased how this bow is coming out. I keep thinking..."I wish it was mine!"  ;D I'll get the handle shaped today and try to get it bending closer to full draw so I can present it in front of the east wall of our house for you. That is the only place with a enough bare wall to get decent pics.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2012, 01:51:23 pm »
  I'm quite pleased how this bow is coming out. I keep thinking..."I wish it was mine!"  ;D

I've only made like 5 bows for people, and this has happened ever single time. Until I make myself 100 bows to hang on my bow racks and admire (read "worship") I vow not to make anyone else a bow. To add to that, I also wish that bow your making was mine!  :laugh: I love how you do those leather handles. I want to try that so bad, does it make it more comfortable to shoot?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2012, 03:39:25 pm »
TMK, I generally use a piece of leather to fill out the back of the bulbous handles I usually made. It does make them more comfortable by fitting in the hand better...

This bow pole bow has a high crowned back and a flat belly so I built up the handle on the belly so it will be more comfortable to shoot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »
In added another piece of leather to this riser and got it shaped. I primarily use my belt sander for the shaping but also use a rasp. After getting it to shape I saturated the leather with super glue. I'll let it cure out for a few hours before continueing...

here it is saturated with the glue...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2012, 07:20:28 pm »
I finally got her to first brace. I am very pleased with the outcome so far. She looks pretty even and the string tracks well. I won't need to make any more heat adjustments. She is going to be a real shooter too. She's drawing 50#@22" now and I'm shooting for 50#@28". I think it is doable. ;D