Author Topic: Rattan recurve for big kids  (Read 8017 times)

Offline Maxspin

Re: Rattan recurve for big kids
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »
Shaun or Tom
If you were to start with the idea of making a 50# bow would you still start at 4.5’ long? 
Would a longer bow get sluggish out of rattan?

Keith

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »
cool bows, where do you get the rattan?
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Shaun

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »
Rattan is slightly slower than wood. It takes some set but it really does shoot and it is heat bendable. Kids can hardly break these things and that is saying a lot, very tough stuff.

You can find suppliers on the west coast if you Google rattan suppliers. East coast supplier was out of stock and said there was an embargo of some sort. Standard pieces are 9 ft but must be cut unless you want to pay freight trucking charges. So, 54" (half a stick) is standard. Costs about $15 each w/ shipping.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:52 pm »
WOW!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »
That's impressive.  I never paid much attention to Rattan...until now.   O:)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 11:51:30 pm »
Excellent little bow, Shaun and beautiful tiller. You got all the goodie out of that piece of rattan. I tried a few pieces of rattan years ago and just couldn't make it work well for me. I think you found the secret of rattan.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 12:15:51 am »
WOW,that is a good piece of work...i looked up some supplerys out here in the west coast and only found rattan for furniture..thanks for sharing john

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:08 am »
We always bought it from Bamboo and Rattan Works out on the east coast. If you tell them you need it for kids bows, they know what to do.

I once bought a couple of full length poles to test the longer bow theory. I was going to show up at MOJam with a rattan warbow. Problem was, I got it from another supplier and it was bruised all over the place. With rattan, bruise = instant hinge. I never ordered more to try it out again. If I did, I'd get it from the aforementioned BRW.