Author Topic: Stone points and tools collection  (Read 1898 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Stone points and tools collection
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »
I was recently contacted by someone that is donating a collection of stone points, tools, and artifacts to the nonprofit Black Hills Raptor Center.  He has asked we sell it to raise money for the construction of our new facility.  Since I have little or no experience in dealing with artifacts I thought I'd ask for some pointers here. 

Who or where should I be looking to get the best price for this collection.  I'm not offering this for sale here of course, because that would violate one of the basic rules, so please do not send me offers. 

(And yes, I will happily post pics of it once I have access)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Stone points and tools collection
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:17:06 pm »
John;

I'm not sure they are still in business but if they are try First Mesa in South Bend. In, (219) 232-2095. Another source is a friend of mine but mostly deals in Florida Artifacts and fossils, Jim and Carlos Tatum. Their site is Paleo Enterprise. I'll do a little more digging for you tomorrow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:13:06 am »
PM sent
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:55:56 am »
morning JW-sorry, cant help ya with appraisal and authentication,
but i sure do look forward to seeing pix when ya have the opportunity.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »
It's a shame that you have to sell the artifacts.  You might want to reconsider and charge admission to view the artifacts when the center is built.  Assuming that the collection contains only authentic pieces, selling it would essentially "kill" the collection and remove it from public view.

Some collections are worth tens of thousands of dollars.  Most are worth much, much less.  You may get more from it in the long run by charging admission.  Be patient and do as much research as possible.  DO NOT SELL IT TO THE FIRST PERSON WHO MAKES AN OFFER.  And make sure you keep it locked up.  There is a network of artifact thieves and shady collectors out there.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:58:32 pm »
Try a local university archaeology department, a Local National Park Service Archaeologist, an Overstreet manual, Noel d Justice's books,  and try to keep them in the center to raise funds that way. Otherwise I have ssen a few cases of points from estate sales at HewlettsAuctions.com or try Bryan Taylor at the American Indian Shop in Fresno CA.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:01:45 pm »
P.S. - try to get as much information about the pieces as you can. It will help in IDing and aging them and if necessary, provide information on how much to ask for them.

An artifact without provenance is perhaps worth it weight in what it is and nothing more and quite possibly less.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:02:41 pm »
Indian Artifact Magazine is a good place to start also. Fogleman the owner is a good source of information.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?