Author Topic: weatherproof sinew bow strings (how to)  (Read 2620 times)

Offline half eye

weatherproof sinew bow strings (how to)
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »
Fellas,
     I found this discription of sinew bowstrings that were "impermeable to snow and rain". These in the report were made by the Tse'kehne and Carrier tribes of Native Americans.
     Both of the tribes made plain and sinew-backed bows but this method was used by both for their strings.

The following quoted from Otis Mason's 1893 report to the Smithsonian, and he is quoting Father A.G.Morice,  Trans. Canad. Inst. , Toronto, 1894, IV, 58,59.
     "Great care was taken to obtain a bow-string impermeable to snow and rain. With this object in view, delicate threads of sinew were twisted together and afterwards rubbed over with sturgeon glue. This first string was then gradually strengthened by additional sinew threads twisted around the first and main cord, each overlaying of sinew being thoroughly saturated with glue. Finally when the string had attained sufficient thickness for efficient service it was repeatedly rubbed over with gum of the black pine (Abies balsamea)"

a further quote of both reports describes the glue used as:

".....These pieces of sinew were fastened on with a glue obtained from the sturgeon sound, which also did service for all kinds of gluing purposes amoung each of the three tribes, while still in their prehistoric period."

This Sturgeon glue was obtained by boiling down the lower jaw and swim bladder of the sturgeon and was described as rather clear in appearance.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: weatherproof sinew bow strings (how to)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:32:43 pm »
Interesting read. :) Thanks
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:39 pm »
Hmmm... pitch from the Black Pine.  Make sense to me.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:59:08 am »
Rich he called the tree Abies balsmaea (balsam fir). Native to a wide part of North America especially higher elevations.  The only black pine I know about is Japanese Black Pine(Pinus thunbergiana) That might have been a common name at the time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:05:22 am »
I never heard of "black pine" either....I know different areas call trees by different names so the fact he put the scientific family in the report think you are are right....fir makes a lot more sense
rich

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »
Thats definately very cool, thanks for posting Rich
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 02:48:17 pm »
morning rich-thanks for posting. good info. that mason book is an amazing bit of history. it along with allely/hamms two books. i will never run outta projects. or something to read. i pick one or more up almost every single day. a blessing and a curse really. a blessing in that they are a tremendous and valuable resource. curse-i wanna make one (or more) of every item in all of em!(curse beings that i should be concentrating more of my time/energy on making enough $ to pay my bills...so many bows arrows and quivers-and so little time)
wild women don't get the blues