Author Topic: Wood??  (Read 2626 times)

Offline DRon knife

Wood??
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:14:21 pm »
Combing the woods,camera in hand,I see many interesting tree's,It would be nice if they had name tags,what do you think? The first 3 are of one tree,next 2 another. Ron

Offline DRon knife

Re: Wood??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:16:48 pm »
Sorry the bottom 2 are different tree's

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:21:17 pm »
Yes it would be nice  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »
um, how 'bout a pic of a leaf (even dead) ? and how 'bout an inkling of where on this earth you found the trees?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »
The bottom looks slightly like a hackberry, but it could be something else, like a cork elm.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:08 pm »
First one looks like some kinda elm. Middle one looks like persimmon or dogwood and not sure about the bottom one. A twig or some leaves would help.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:59:04 pm »
seems my geography would be in order..Massachusetts,leaves lol,well I didn't take any pics of those.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:00:05 am »
bottom one looks like hackberry.  Leaves would certainly help.  Or you could cut a foot or two of the end of a branch with the leaf scars and buds intact and take it to your local county extension agent.  They could probably key it out for you in a minute or two.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:16:07 pm »
ah, ha. The bottom one could be oak- look at the leaves in the bottom of the photo. I was borm in great barrington mass! leaves, leaf buds and flowers or seeds are a good way to ID. bark is not as good for ID. Even in winter you can find dead leaves (or acorns, etc.. to help I.D. .
And when in doubt- just make a bow!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 02:22:00 pm »
There is no hackberry in those pics. The top looks like a type of willow to me. I have no clue on the bottom?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »
I would say the top ones are Hickory or maybe walnut. The bottom one I have no idea. Dean

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 02:45:06 pm »
Yeah..definetly no hackberry in those pics...2nd to last photo is persimmon...not sure about others...its not walnut either. If you can wait to cut any of those till the saps up,then do,cus it'll be much easier to slip off the bark like a banana peel.

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 03:05:01 pm »
I'd say either a birch or elm on the first tree. Second tree maybe a cottonwood or ash. The last one looked oakish to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 06:13:47 pm »
The first 3 look like hickory or elm. The 4 looks like black gum or maybe persimmon. Not sure about the last one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:19:39 pm »
I guess I am gonna wait till early summer to Identify them,Its got me thinking I should  realy spend more time in the woods in the spring and summer,I tend to stay out of the deep woods at those times because I'm allergic to bee's,good guesses tho..,Ron