Author Topic: Finely got her skinned  (Read 10583 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Finely got her skinned
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 02:18:27 pm »
Wow thats very cool! Is it hard to come by these billets? I sure would like to get my hands on a couple billets like this but im sure they go fast when you find them :D.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 02:26:12 pm »
I didn't say that right by saying center line. What I mean is you mark where your handle is going to be then measure the length of each limb following the snake or just measure straight across to the tips. If one limb has a few more little curves wouldn't that limb have more wood in it? Dean

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:36 am »
Thanks Pat,A little hard to come by Josh.  :) :) Dean I guess you would be right but I always just measure from center to tip/lay out and cut the profile as close as I can and let the tiller take care of all the rest. Until now never really thought about a snaky limb having more wood than a non snaky one. On another note I got the first coat of sealer on the back and handle last night,hope to have it ready for a grip by the weekend. I wished I had blacked the sides of the limb but it's to late now.It looks OK but I think would have looked better if I had blacked them, altho it does kind of favor a snake as it goes around toward the belly getting a little lighter. ;) :) :) This is the first one I have done the sides on,I usually just skin the back. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BakhSA

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:12 am »
WOW :o
Pappy, you are MASTER!!! I like all your snake bows.

Offline gmc

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 08:45:11 am »
That is awesomely incredible.

Well done.
Central Kentucky

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 11:08:16 am »
That is a very nice bow pappy looks great I like the snakey ones again great job
Old timber bows

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 07:48:27 am »
Thanks guys,I appreciate that very much. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:06 am »
You have to stop replying pappy, every time I see you have posted i think its more pictures but alas nothing :(
 ;)

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »
You have to stop replying pappy, every time I see you have posted i think its more pictures but alas nothing :(
 ;)

I'll take some pictures of him shooting it next time I head to Twin Oaks just for you.   8)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline dwardo

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2012, 07:36:47 am »
 ;)

I'll take some pictures of him shooting it next time I head to Twin Oaks just for you.   8)

Your a gent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 08:00:23 am »
Had a busy weekend at the cabin so didn't get as much done as I had planed,did
get the tips finished up,white tail fro a little 6 point I killed,3 coats of Tru oil on the back /grip area and sides.Also got the grip/shelf and striker plate on.The grip/striker  are some of the elk Joe York gave and I brain tanned this fall.WillH done the sewing.Looks and feels great.Jon let yall down on the shooting pictures,we had him busy cutting wood. ;) :) ;D ;D Maybe next week. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will H

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:25 am »
Those new pics are great, the elk hide on the grip was a good decision. Thank you for letting me help out and be a part of this AMAZING bow!
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:10 am »
wow that thing is sick!!!I don't have words to fully describe how cool it is :o
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:17:37 am by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 05:19:24 am »
Had a busy weekend at the cabin so didn't get as much done as I had planed,did
get the tips finished up,white tail fro a little 6 point I killed,3 coats of Tru oil on the back /grip area and sides.Also got the grip/shelf and striker plate on.The grip/striker  are some of the elk Joe York gave and I brain tanned this fall.WillH done the sewing.Looks and feels great.Jon let yall down on the shooting pictures,we had him busy cutting wood. ;) :) ;D ;D Maybe next week. :)
   Pappy

Yep I was working wood in the woods and not around the shop this past weekend.   :-[

I was able to look at my Osage but not a bit of work got done.  Now this Friday I might get something going I hope.  Saturday may not be a bow building day either.  After the Club meeting I believe Pappy will be once again cracking the whip in the woods getting firewood ready for the upcoming year, so the guests who need it around their firepit during the Classic and IBO Worlds will have enough. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:07 am »
This one is beyond even in your standards!
Frank from Germany...