Author Topic: Finely got her skinned  (Read 10582 times)

Offline DirtyDan

Re: Finely got her skinned
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 09:38:12 pm »
Pappy, my gOsh, you have really done it.  That radical bend on the top limb is so realistic, I dropPed my IPhone and ran.  It looks like it is slithering right there on the screen.  Outstanding workmanship, my friend.  What a pleasure you provide to all of us who love to craft bows.  Is there a Bow of the Century category?
Dan Spier

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 09:44:00 pm »
WOW!thats about all one can say...WOW!-Hammertime

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 11:54:56 pm »
That bow is a masterpiece of tillering, and finish details.  Thank you for sharing your work with us. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 12:04:53 am »
You have to speak parseltongue to shoot that thing?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 02:33:43 am »
WOW!!!!!

I got one I'm working and it's giving me some fits.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Gordon

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 03:15:58 am »
That thing gives me the willie's just looking at it. I wouldn't want to wake up and find that next to my sleeping bag :o. Hmm, then again maybe I would  ;D
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:13 am »
Thanks guys, a bunch  :) :) It means a lot with some of the beauties you folks turn out. :) :) Beadman you ask about weight,I don't know what any of that means but it is 63 Tip to tip 61 n-n 47@26 and weighs in at 18.832 ounces. don't know if that is good or bad, Some of you guys that study that stuff can let me know. :) :)
DRon they grow and split that way. :) :) Sometimes you can see it in the bark and sometimes you don't know till you split it. Stiks they can do that,just take your time especially in the curves,they will give way there sometimes,kind of like the fads I leave them a little heavy until the last few inches of draw. :) Dan where you been hiding,I have been wondering about you,cool Christmas card by the way. :) :) :) Thanks again.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 09:39:48 am »
What a fantastic piece of 'sage. You could paint eyes on the tip overlays and no one would come near it!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:14 am »
That is one of a kind for sure. Got a stave myself that is real snakey to work on someday. I was wondering how do you find the center on one of these snake staves. Do you measure straight across or do you follow the snakey limbs to find the center. Dean

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 11:28:52 am »
That is one of a kind for sure. Got a stave myself that is real snakey to work on someday. I was wondering how do you find the center on one of these snake staves. Do you measure straight across or do you follow the snakey limbs to find the center. Dean

You draw your center line while following the grain.  Then measure out from the center line creating your profile as you go up the stave.

Or at least that's how I do it.

AMAZING bow BTW! 

Please post a bunch more pictures when its finished up.....I can't wait.

Tenbrook

"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline coaster500

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:02 pm »
Oh my Pappy, that, that....  I'm dumfounded... That bow is mesmerizing!!!!

Don't want to steal your pictures but that bow just became my screensaver, WOW!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 12:34:45 pm »
Pappy I guess the final mass weight you said it is means to me that a snaky bow really does'nt carry that much more mass weight than a straight stave bow.All variables being equal and all like MC & design etc.I've been making bows here monitoring my mass weight  along in the process[I need all the help I can get LOL.]and it usually does come out according to mass principle in TTB4.Too heavy in mass means too much draw weight at intended draw length all things being equal or intended draw weight at intended draw length and too much mass weight means a much slower bow.[Hope I said that all right LOL]I've been making hunting bows with a little more draw weight and length of draw even though I don't trust myself to take a shot at a deer more than 20 yards.There seems to be a shot of 10 yards or so come along if I'm patient.LOL.I'm doing some white woods here.It's hard to beat old hedge that's for sure.Maybe I'm thinking wrong here but I just thought your bow might actually be longer like a river with all the snakes in it being longer than a straight line stretch of river covering the same distance.LOL.My thinking might be all messed up.I've done a couple of snake bows but not to the extreme your beauty is.You measured your length in a straight line I presume.Just the length of the string must be the determining factor here.Again beautiful bow Pappy!!Oh Roll Tide!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »
Yes I measure in a straight line. I see what you are saying about like a river,never really thought about it like that. :-\  Dean ,just what tenbrook said. PatB has a little tool that will help to do that also.I usually just free hand the center line ,then depending on how much snake and how close they are togeather will help decide
how close/or far apart I will draw my lines to measure side to side for the profile and how much I need to drop in fractions as I go down the limb to make it work out at the tip.What every you decide on one limb you have to do the same to the other,snake or no snake.. :) :) thanks coaster500 that is quite a complament. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »
Pappy asked me to post pics of this handy little tool for determining the center line down a snakey bow stave. I started off with Eric Krewson's Gizmo and to the back side I added two dowels and turned the pencil around. When making the stave you may have to cant the tool oneway then the other. This will give you two lines in some areas but if you split the difference it will get you pretty close to the center line of the stave.

Pappy, I think I gave you the one in the pic at last years Classic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 01:28:06 pm »
Wow - that is amazing! Looks more like a timber than a bow! Hard to believe :o
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA