Author Topic: Finding the right rock..need glass butte advice  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Finding the right rock..need glass butte advice
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:36:51 am »
Hi all knappers,

longtime archer here that has recently gotten into the primitive side of things, and would like to start knapping my own points to go along with my primitive bows.  I picked up some Waldorf videos want to start breaking rock, but I don't have any rock.  I live in the Portland, OR area and i plan on making a trip out to glass butte to harvest a modest amount of obsidian some time this winter.  My question is, how do you go about selecting good glass?

Thanks in advance!

Carson
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline aaron

Re: Finding the right rock..need glass butte advice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 01:39:50 pm »
carson- i have been out to glass buttes many times + I could help you find the pits, but:
1. the ground will be frozen before long, making digging impossible
2. the roads may be super muddy and you'll want high clearance 4wd- but i have seen many such vehicles stuck out there. If you do go - bring warm blankets in case you get stuck overnight. It's almost 50 miles to the nearest house.
3. the pits can be hard to find without a guide there in person.
Instead of going out this winter, i reccomend waiting till the end of march when there is a knap-in there. There will be 100 people happy to take you to the pits or pull out your mud-bogged rig. Until then, I could hook you up with some rock to learn on- i could even give a lesson if you want to come out to the coast.
If you do go to glass buttes, you'll need directions to the pits, but it would be a shame to drive 6 hours to find your pit is an ice-skating rink!
Aaron
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:35:17 pm »
Aaron, thanks for the advice and the offer.  I was planning on taking an old 85 Landcruiser out there, so I would have at least a fighting chance on the roads. I am out of work at the moment, hence the plans to go soon, but it sounds like the knapp-in might be the time to head out there for a newbie like myself.  Glad I asked here before trucking over there blind. 

March seems like a ways off, so I might have to take you up on a session at your place.  Where at on the coast are you? 
Maybe we can work out a trade?
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:58:48 pm »
sure, a trade would be great. instruction and a bucket of rocks for...?
got any old Fiberglass bows? I could add some cash to the offer for the right bow. (under 55 lbs).
I'm right across the river from astoria oregon. I have tomorrow off....
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:28:58 am »
I do have a old 50# bear kodiak that is in pretty good shape.  Actually excellent shape except for a series of small dings in the riser.  Also a 50# wing chaparrel that has seen a little more action and shows signs of it.  As for tomorrow, I already have plans to head south down the old willamette valley. Are saturdays always good for you?  Late archery deer is coming up, so I might be busy on upcoming weekends.  Hopefully we can work something out. 

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:07:13 pm »
my days off are a little mixed up in november, and as you say, late archery is comming up. (actually, that's why i am looking for a FG bow- so I can hunt in the rain and not worry about my stuff). 11/9 and 11/10 I am free. Or late afternoon on 11/12 (after 4). Or just about any night after 4. Would be interested to see your FG bows for sale/trade. I hold the bow in my left hand. Are you looking for knapping tools?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »
Here are some pics of that Kodiak Hunter (bear in the middle).  It is 50# at 28" 60" AMO.   

I might be able to make it out Thursday.  Let me know if you are interested in the bow and I will see if I can get away from the house.

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:29:16 am »
pm sent
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:45:14 am »
tried to send you a personal message, if you didn't get it you can call me at 3607831126
aaron
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 03:05:27 pm »
I am glad we were able to make the trade.  I really enjoyed the instruction and finally got a chance to break some rock last night.  I attached the pic of my first point.  It is pretty darn thick, but I was happy to at least have something of a point when I was done.  Thanks again.  How is that Bear shooting?

BTW, you and Bri are always welcome at our place anytime.

Offline aaron

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:00 pm »
Carson,
good job on your first point! It was great to meet you and thanks for the great trade- that bow shoots great except for the guilt factor. Hope to see you at Glass Buttes.
aaron
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »
I have been to the Buttes several times,I have dug for glass and I have surface collected also,I have turned out many nice points from surface collected glass,don't know why guys frown on it,some of it will be fractured or bubbly,I knock off a flake look at it ,if I don't like it ,I leave it there,You will pick up more good surface glass than you want to carry. Just 2-cents  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 11:26:59 pm »
Aaron.  Don't feel guilty.  I am more than happy with the trade.  BTW, that clovis point you sent me home with was a hit with the family.  They thought it was pretty cool.  Yeah, I hope to see you out at glass buttes for the knapp-in.