Author Topic: Just blew up my first bow!!!  (Read 2210 times)

Offline steelslinger

Just blew up my first bow!!!
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:04:30 pm »
I was tillering my first bow and exercising my last session of tillering and the top limb blew right at the fade. I feel pretty good that I did not get hurt to bad.  It was an Ipe board that was really shaping up to be a nice bow. it was 66" ntn and 1 1\2" wide mid limb. I am really bummed because I do not know when I will be able to get another stave to work on. I was having so much fun and learning so much. Oh well ;)

Offline Gordon

Re: Just blew up my first bow!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »
Get used to it. If you're serious about making wooden bows you are going to break some. I had a good run and then had 2 fail on me last month. It comes with the territory.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:40:49 pm »
 There you go! ;Dnow you're part of the Club. ??? ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:48:58 pm »
Don't let that bug you. I broke half a dozen before my first real success. But I was probably a little reckless at first, had to learn some patience before I could succeed. And sometimes no matter how careful you are, that stick just does not want to be a bow.

Congratulations on your first learning experience.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:06 pm »
I dont know what I would do with myself if I ever broke a bow I was working on.........must be a real bummer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:28 pm »
Had about 10 break on me before i made one that was suitable to my liking. True story. bout 10. Some shot for a while though  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:56:34 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:57:18 pm »
You should run marathons with an attitude like that Dictionary. Way to stay with it pal. I know I wouldnt have!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »
I have been so excited to work on it, now all I want is to start another one. But I must wait for some suitable wood to come my way. I  think I might still hang it on the wall.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:30 pm »
I'm with dictionary... As some great bow maker once said, "If your not breaking them your not making them... "  ;D ;D Better luck next time..

Jon

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:25:18 pm »
ha i edited it. I initially put 20 bows. It was around 15-20 broken at first. A lotof them developed hinges. Some were overdrawn or made too short. Some were made while green and took enormous set and eventually broke. I took like a month off and started back up and learned slowly. Got 2 bows drawing roughly 48# and 53# @ 25in on the scale and been shooting them for a month or so now. So i'm making progress. Just keep at it. If i can get it.......anyone in the world can.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline randman

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 02:00:14 am »
When I first got hooked, I was breakin about 90% of the sticks I was working on. The other 10% were under weight.
Now I'm only breakin about 30% and the weights are coming up. So just keep on breaking and the percentages get better.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline druid

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 03:03:29 am »
I think that I broke my first dozen or even more without any survived bow.  :-\

Offline bambule

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 05:02:32 am »
I don't know how much I broke but I think about 30% maybe even more of all of my bows broke.
and I think I made about 150 bows over the years...

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:33:06 am »
It happens,no one likes it but it still happens,that is why I tell beginners not fall in love with a piece of wood,it will break your heart,plenty of time for love it once it's  a bow. :) :) Hang in,it still happens but does get easier to take. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:05:10 am »
Gets your attention doesn't it?!
Oh well, keep moving on, I broke a bunch at first.  Did you back the ipe board?
1’—>1’