Author Topic: ok son brought up a question?  (Read 988 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
ok son brought up a question?
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »
i was explaing about grain run off and he was looking at the design of my pyramid red oak and he asked "dad if you are worried abotu grain run off wouldn't you have it on this bow to the design being smaller at the ends and thicker in the middle because following the grain from one end to the other the bow would have to be thcker on one side and smaller on the other from top to bottom?" was not sure what to say to a 11 yr old about this because it got me to thinking. what would you guys say to that? i have no idea how to explain this to him properly. hope someone chimes in
doc

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: ok son brought up a question?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:32:39 pm »
It's all a matter of degree like most stuff.
Some gentle grain run off at a slight angle isn't a problem, but if the grain goes across the board at 45 degrees you are in trouble.
Unless of course yo tell him about the special pyramid tree which tapers at exacly the right angle for bow limbs (of course you have to splice two limbs to get the taper on each) ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:27:31 pm »
see you made it sound alot easier than what i was trying to explain about pressure and alot of physics like my teacher in college explained to me and i know my son didn't understand it now i can explian it in lamens terms a little better sometimes it is easier to ask someone for help than not being able to put it in ways others can identify with
doc

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:50:32 am »
I think the whole grain run off thing is often over stated and and misinterpreted !
As Del says the angle tells more than the fact of it !
Run off from belly to back is more critical than side to side .
On a long flat bow if the back is one growth ring the grain can run from the fade on one side across to the other side by the tip  and not be a problem !
But on the working section of a molly that would most likely be a disaster !
The slightest growth ring violation can often be a failure unless its hickory or yew or other provisions are made to make up for it 
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !