Author Topic: Just broke my first osage bow.....  (Read 6236 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Just broke my first osage bow.....
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 09:37:27 am »
Well, since everyone is guessing, here mine ;D..........Fast Flight string maybe?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:37 am »
I run into some osage that is light and chalky. I never make a selfbow out of it but it is OK for a bamboo backed bow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:56 am »
Well, since everyone is guessing, here mine ;D..........Fast Flight string maybe?

Dont even start with me ol' man! I still had my B-50 tiller string on her!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:19 am »
I run into some osage that is light and chalky. I never make a selfbow out of it but it is OK for a bamboo backed bow.

It definately had a look and feel to it that just wasnt right Eric, and it was very weak. My tools kept plugging up the whole build. I believe the wood was stored inside and I believe its about 2-3 yrs cut and peeled. I let it sit in my house for one week to acclimate. Our humidity is pretty good right now upstairs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 01:46:28 pm »
You got a humidity/temperature monitor Pearly?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 01:55:09 pm »
In the upper part of our house, not in my shop though. I leave bows Im working on upstairs and just carry them back and forth. I tried again to break the other limb and it wont! I think I just got a bad section on one limb that didnt want to be a bow. Keep up your smart comments and that billet quality I promised you just keeps going dowwwwwwn!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 02:57:02 pm »
Yeah, you'd probably send some old 20 year fence post or something!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 04:04:50 pm »
I am sure it is not the wood in the bows fault !!
It has to be the boyer !!
 After all everyone knows how good that yellow wood is !
 After all I know a man from that state up north that wants me to build him a selfbow because he broke three bows last year ! They were all glass bows one was a Shrew and one was a Bear take down he broke the bracket on ,that took out the riser and the limb when it went so after all it must be the Boyer's fault !!
 But then I have been quoted before as saying wood can be dry rotted even in a live tree so we will give you this one pass !!
Hope to see you real soon !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 04:13:57 pm »
Didn't know Osage could break.  ;D
Humboldt County CA.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 04:46:51 pm »
Sometimes the wood can just be crazy. Wood is by far not always the same, even in the same place, ten feet apart from each other. Sometimes I suspect wood is not very healthy wood, sometimes it gets sick and doesn't turn out real meaty like it should. Or sometimes being sick seems to turn out even better wood than it would normally... I cut a mulberry tree last summer, and I looked at it, and there was NO SAPWOOD. Only PURE HEARTWOOD, starting right under the bark. I peeled the bark off and the only thing was orange wood. The rings were super tiny. Ridiculously tiny. After letting it dry and everything, I think what is was was some decease or something making it that way, as there were parts of the tree that looked sick or something, after it dried I could see a tiny color variation between like 1/16" or maybe 1/8" of the the first couple rings with the rest of the tree, so I think it has sapwood, just orange sapwood. Either way it is very little, and the wood is very dense for mulberry, but it definitely is mulberry, as it came from a row of mulberry I have cut from for a couple years...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »

Hope to see you real soon !!
Guy

Wait a minute.............We didnt invite any Buckeye's to our party! I guess you know what shirt I will be wearing Guy!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:45 pm »
That stave was stored inside my garage.  I'm not sure what was wrong with it.  Pearly turned another stave from that same tree into a fine deer killin' bow.  Must have been a week spot hiding in it.  I'm going to see if he can break another one  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »
The other limb is indestructable Clint. I guess only half of Clints staves are any good! :) He is correct. My "Curvey Canebrake" bow came from the same stump and that short bugger takes a whippin' every time I draw it back.