Author Topic: sinew for fletching  (Read 4969 times)

Offline sadiejane

sinew for fletching
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:29 pm »
for those who wrap the entire length of fletch:
what sinew do you use thats long enough?
or do you somehow twist together to get longer?
ive been having a time trying to wrap with what i have. nothing long enough
and i cant seem to figure out how to twist to make it longer without adding too much bulk...
thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: sinew for fletching
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »
Backstrap sinew is best for full length spiral wrapping.  16" or longer.  It is possible to join shorter pieces together by braiding or flemish twist, but it will be bulky unless you use VERY thin strands.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:27:43 pm »
I use backstrap sinew also Sadie. I prefer to use it for all arrow work because of its length. One strand will wrap a nock complete. One strand will wrap most length feathers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:29:03 pm »
great! thanks guys.
will hafta get my paws on some backstrap sinew...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:25:40 pm »
I read one guy on here who chews his sinew before use say that when you get close to the end you can take another piece and "chew" the ends together to make the original piece longer.  When sinew is chewed rather than just wetted it creates its own glue and holds together by itself.   
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:58:33 pm »
I have used two bits of leg sinew with a square knot holding them together in the middle.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:46:15 pm »
I dont chew mine, but I do soak each piece in my mouth prior to wrapping them. They get REAL sticky when you do that. I cheat a little and add a dab of TBIII to the wraps after they dry back down. It turns rock hard and never moves. Sadie I think Eric has piles of back sinew for trade right now. I may grab 7-8 pieces from him myself. For your reference; about six back pieces will do two layers on most bows as well. Something to stink about when your looking for some to work arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SGTKaveman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:03:09 am »
Hi Sadie,

I have been using yucca leaf fibers with good success, because finding sinew long enough is often a problem.  If you have access to a fresh deer, you can try chasing the leg sinews up into the hams.  I have gotten much longer sinews that way, but its hard to do.

I used homemade hide glue to secure them.  Josh says  If you use them green they will shrink and actually loosen up, rather than tighten up, so dry the fibers out a few days after you seperate them from the yucca leaf, and before you apply them to the arrow.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:06:35 am by SGTKaveman »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
Sadie, I have back sinew and yucca let me know if you want some and I'll try to bring you some, some time soon.  Josh

Offline Dazv

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »
I have used leg sinew just tied together with a square knot, this has worked very well for me.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 10:58:45 am »
Sadie, I have back sinew and yucca let me know if you want some and I'll try to bring you some, some time soon.  Josh

been meaning to harvest some yucca whenever im where it grows..
just havent gotten round tuit...

that would be awesome
you know here to find me any wed nite of the week

thanks everyone

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 05:06:48 am »
easy.......kangaroo tail sinew. some bits are 20" long. the strands are about 1mm or less in diameter. no bashing or anything. just pull each strand out fresh and dry it out.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 10:08:04 am »
easy.......kangaroo tail sinew. some bits are 20" long. the strands are about 1mm or less in diameter. no bashing or anything. just pull each strand out fresh and dry it out.

not sure theres  access to roo sinew round here.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 02:58:22 pm »
Yes Ma'am...

Chewed Back Sinew for me.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline ajc

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 03:35:30 am »
i use strap sinue too i leave mine in a plastic container and rinse it out every day for a week or two and it will keep forever as long as you keep it wet