Author Topic: Interesting catch on the Trapline  (Read 9619 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Interesting catch on the Trapline
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »
Thanks for clearing up that misnomer Marc.  I haven't tried making a string from it, but had considered it many times. What is a catgut string made of then if I may ask?  Just to clear up any misconceptions, the cats I processed were roadkill.  I don't like wasting materials that I might have a use for.  That includes sinew and Turkey feathers . Both of which are common finds where I live. It is ironic and hypocritical that the HSUS pushes such outrageous penalties, when it has been reported that they destroy 95% of the animals they get custody of!   Josh
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:19:39 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »
Howdy,  I've read that that "cat gut" strings are made from the intestines of sheep.  I'm not a string player so that may be wrong or outdated.  I believe that the material for instrument strings is processed to remove most of the intestine.  The inner layer of tissue (mucosa) and outer layers (serosa and muscles) are stripped off leaving only the submucosa, which is relatively cell free and nearly all collagen.  The submucosa is also the portion of the gut that is used for sausage casings and 'gut' sutures.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »
The HSUS is the group helping with the spay and neutering for the group that is releasing and feeding the feral cats in the Park here. And the Audubon Society is about to go to war with them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:17:30 am by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »
Kill 'em all Lee. Except my pet kitty and any other pet kittys, I love cats. I hate seeing gnarly wild cats running around. I "relocated" a few last year from around our house because they wizzed all around and it stinks bad.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 03:11:48 pm »
Yes I believe that catgut is made from Sheep intestines.

I don't hate feral Cats or abandoned Cats, I feel sorry for them.  Many of these animals were someones pet that they decided to get "rid" of and quite often it is done when the animal is very young.  To me that is cruel beyond belief.  I would rather put a bullet in an animal than throw it away like useless garbage.

A couple years ago just before Christmas we found a small kitten abandoned near our house, he was living under an abandoned house.  This kitten was no more than a few weeks old and there was no way he could have fed himself even if there had been no snow on the ground.  All he had to look forward to was a slow, freezing death.  I went out 3 or 4 times a day to bring him food in -20 degree weather.  In over a month he never put on any weight, most likely using all the energy from the food I gave him just to keep warm.  He finally trusted me enough that I was able to grab him and I brought him into my shop where it was heated.  Then he started to put on weight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 03:28:46 pm »
The real problem is the humans who don't give a ****.

There lies the blame for 99.9% of all problems. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 04:22:23 pm »
Problems?

There are no problems... The Sparrow cares not, nor the Bobcat or the Bear.

Only Humans have problems, and I'm loosing my Hair...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 07:30:01 pm »
Post pics of the quiver when done!  I want to see that.  Dom. cat used to be considered a furbearer back in the day.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »
LOL, thanks Josh...any tips on the prep/processing of the "hafting" material?
DO NOT use the siphon water like a garden hose method  :P just a suggestion  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 12:18:31 am »
I'm not much of a cat person but Ole Bubba done warmed my heart some. 

My daughter had a dream about a pure white cat once about 10 years ago.  I was in a gas station about a week later and a lady came in crying because "Cat's Are Us" was out of room and she was torn up about having to take the cat to the local pound.  I looked at that pure white cat and said to myself I just have to take it home to Katie.  Well long story short is Katie went off to collage and is in grad school now about to graduate with her doctorate and I'm still here at home with Zeekie.   Life takes a strange twist from time to time.

I sure do dislike folks who won't take care of animals they take home with em when theor all cute and cuddley.  I have two dogs here that folks have dropped off in my neighborhood as strays.  Just can't bring myself to pulling a gun out and ending something not the animals fault.     
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 12:33:15 am »
It's good that you want to use the animal and not waste it and it is no fault of yours that it was caught.  As Marc and others have stated it is a problem caused by mismanagement of animals( be they domesticated or not).  people  think they want a cat but cant flip the bill to get them spay or neutered.  They are just killing machines whether they are hungry or not.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:08 am »
An inexperienced hunter can learn a lot by watching a Cat hunting.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline TRACY

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 10:08:37 am »
I'm not much of a cat person but Ole Bubba done warmed my heart some. 

My daughter had a dream about a pure white cat once about 10 years ago.  I was in a gas station about a week later and a lady came in crying because "Cat's Are Us" was out of room and she was torn up about having to take the cat to the local pound.  I looked at that pure white cat and said to myself I just have to take it home to Katie.  Well long story short is Katie went off to collage and is in grad school now about to graduate with her doctorate and I'm still here at home with Zeekie.   Life takes a strange twist from time to time.

I sure do dislike folks who won't take care of animals they take home with em when theor all cute and cuddley.  I have two dogs here that folks have dropped off in my neighborhood as strays.  Just

can't bring myself to pulling a gun out and ending something not the animals fault.

A strange twist it is Jon.
Use to trap coyotes across the US and cats always made the best attractant/bait. I'm all for protecting native wildlife and such and have removed my share of cats. I now have a 9 year old daughter that is in love with all cats and now have 3 spayed/neutered as pets. I agree it all falls on the lack of responsibility of pet owners not necessarily the pet.     
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 01:21:44 pm »
Problems?

There are no problems... The Sparrow cares not, nor the Bobcat or the Bear.

Only Humans have problems, and I'm loosing my Hair...

-gus
No, only humans create problems, and we have. There is a problem because they do not belong in the ecosystem. They do at least as much damage to the ecosystem as the feral hog. So why is it so easy to hate the hog and love the cat. It was proven years ago that the house cat kills more species than any other predator on the planet, man excepted. Look at Australia for a perfect example. The feral cat came into a system with no predators for many of the small animals. Consequently they have almost eliminated rabbits and many bird species. If it is feral, whether it be hog or dog or cat or something else, remove it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 05:54:22 pm »
Indeed! Feral anything plant or animal that does not belong needs to go.  We have lots of plants in Yosemite that were brought in by settlers and visitors from all over the US.  PITA trying to get rid of them.  PS> Australia did not have rabbits until the british took them there.  New Zealand did not have Deer until europeans took them there.  Hawaii did not have snakes or some speices of frogs until they stowed away in cargo.  Yes we as humans have made a mess of things. Those of us who are willing to begin the process of turning the tide have a long way to go.