Author Topic: Interesting catch on the Trapline  (Read 9618 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Interesting catch on the Trapline
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:27:43 am »
I've been running a small trapline in hopes of adding a few nice sized coon, fox and muskrats to my pile of skins to tan in use for various primitive projects.  This big ol' guy must have thought since the bucket set had fresh, moist cat food in it (the coons love the chicken & liver flavor) it was meant for him.  I don't like catching domestic critters but I have no qualms about removing a free ranging cat from the food chain.  He should make a real nice possibles bag or a shorty quiver for one of my boys.

Cheers~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Interesting catch on the Trapline
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:55:01 am »
For those that are bothered seeing poor old Moggy in the above pic, maybe you should spay and neuter your cats and keep them indoors. 

I've had to "clean up" feral cat populations and it bothers me.  But letting them continue breeding out of control and wreaking havoc on game birds, song birds, and other wildlife is even worse.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:57:30 am »
Good side bar JW, if this pic or topic bothers anyone or the Mods let me know or just kill the thread...not trying to be brash or crude.  Thanks~
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 01:32:25 am »
I'm happy that you are planning to use it.  Don't forget to clean and save the gut.  Good hafting material  and I've heard it makes a good string!   ;) Josh

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 02:04:21 am »
LOL, thanks Josh...any tips on the prep/processing of the "hafting" material?
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:13:26 am »
 The meat taste good, too, so what I've been told. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 02:16:52 am »

The meat taste good, too, so what I've been told. ::)

:o >:D :o

want me to smoke some for ya?  LOL
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 02:22:05 am »
Kitty... It's what's for DINNER!!!   >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 02:34:53 am »
If you dont plan on eating it, at least ya got some good coyote bait.....if thats legal where you live.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 03:21:37 am »
 To clean it, squeeze it between thumb and forefinger and pull it through. That will push out most of the solids.  It should be mentioned  don't do this close to the house where it can accidentally get tracked in on the carpet. I learned the hard way on that one. The next step is to stretch  it out straight and flush it with the garden hose for a couple minutes .  It will stretch over the end of the hose like filling a water balloon.  Then I will string it across the rafters in my shop with a couple pounds of weight tied to both ends.  When it's good and dry, coil it up and store it like you would sinew.  Works good for stone axes, atlatl points,  spear points , and stone knives .  When you need to use some, cut off what you need and soak it overnight. (I wouldn't recommend chewing it like sinew )  ;) That's pretty much it.   Josh

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 04:58:26 am »
I live in the middle of a 50 arcre farm.  My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away any cat seen back here is feral and in need of removing.

Now as far as using the cat guts for strings, etc... I had plans to that with the last feral I shot.  Now, not much bothers me as far as cleaning and skinning critters.  BUT, even with latex gloves, when I started squezzing the intestines and 100's of tape worms came out, game over!  I double bag it and took to the front of the farm where my dogs done go, pour gasoline on the worms and struck a match.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 05:10:34 am »
I live in the middle of a 50 arcre farm.  My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away any cat seen back here is feral and in need of removing.

Now as far as using the cat guts for strings, etc... I had plans to that with the last feral I shot.  Now, not much bothers me as far as cleaning and skinning critters.  BUT, even with latex gloves, when I started squezzing the intestines and 100's of tape worms came out, game over!  I double bag it and took to the front of the farm where my dogs done go, pour gasoline on the worms and struck a match.

Thats pretty bad.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 05:35:44 am »
I do believe that would stop the process for me.  Luckily ,I haven't encountered that yet.  The regular contents are bad enough!  Josh

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 09:45:51 am »
I completely agree with killing all feral cats. They destroy the small game bird and songbird population, as well as small reptiles. I would be a little careful however about talking openly about killing them. In some states the humane society has managed to make it a felony to kill them.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 10:26:14 am »
The best course of action is what JW suggested.  I have always spayed or neutered any cat I have had.

I like cats and always have but I don't like seeing any domesticated animal, feral or domestic, roaming around and causing a problem.  I don't blame the cats though because they are just trying to survive, like anything else would try to do.  The real problem is the humans who don't give a ****.

Contrary to what some may think, catgut is not made from cat intestines.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com