Author Topic: osage orage seed and seedling advice  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Catahoula

osage orage seed and seedling advice
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »
Hi,

Last year I got a box of hedge apples and folowed the directions but obviously have a brown thumb rather than a green one!!  We are in the sand hills of SC.  Sandy soil and rain off and on depending on the mood of mother nature.  I would love to grow some osage trees on our farm for my kids to enjoy one day.  I was thinking of ordering some seedlings and trying to plant them instead of trying to grow from seeds since I can't seem to grow anything!  Any advice about what time of year to plant seedlings or growing from seeds?

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Badger

Re: osage orage seed and seedling advice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:57:54 pm »
Rand, osage is one of the easiest trees to start from seeds. I planted 100 seeds and I think I had close to 90% grmination and about 70% survival after about 3 months of growth. Nothing wrong with good drainage but you need to make sure they don't dry out until firmly rooted, maybe 2 years or so. If you decide to keep them in pots for a couple of years be aggressive about repotting to larger pots and the growth of the tree really depends on the roots having plenty of room. I grew one tree up to 6ft in one year using a 15 gallon pot while most of the others which were in 1 gallon pots lagged far behind at maybe 2 feet. Use a good basic fertilizer but not in excess. My next batch I will raise in 15 gallon pots and transplant to soil after 1 year.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:52 am »
Hi Y'all,

This topic has been on my mine of late.

Badger, do you collect your seeds locally, or buy seed/seedlings?

Thanks,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:32 am »
ive been wanting to try this, anyone know where to get seeds from, its not a local tree here so i would probably have to order it unless someone has some seeds available in the woods around their house that they could part with?, i want to try growing the perfect bow stave
thanks
noel
Ps: what is the largest growth rings you can get from osage?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:00:24 am »
   I bought my seeds, I may still have the address, I will check. Steve

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:49:10 am »
If all you want are some of the hedge apple fruit, my neighbor across the street has an osage tree in his back yard and I highly doubt he'd mind a few disappearing.   I'm sure it'd be cheaper to ship seeds, but I don't know where you'd get them.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:36:03 am »
They'll grow in sandy soil. It doesen't get much sandier than Florida and I have two growing that I planted from seedlingsin my front yard. It will give the neighbors something to cuss me about when I'm dead n' gone. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:02:22 pm »
Badger,

Ok...gonna try the seeds again if you can tell us where you got yours.  I will try the pots and will dillegent this time!  By golly!  Guess I could start them inside any time and get them going?

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 05:31:25 am »
Osage growing in direct sunlight gets bushy and gnarly.  If it grows under the shade of tall trees it tends to grow straighter.  I havent had any luck with seeds but I have kept my eyes on some existing small trees that are growing pretty straight. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
   I covered my seeds with a wet towel until they developed little tails then transferred them to small pots. I think it took about two weeks. I still haven't found the address but type in osage seeds on e ebay and you will fins some. I paid 20.00 per 100 seeds.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: osage osage seed and seedling advice
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 12:07:14 pm »
My friends have bought osage seedlings from the Missouri forestry department in the past. The sell for $8 for 25 bare root seedlings, a pretty good deal. They shipped to my friends in Alabama so I suspect they would ship anywhere in the US but don't know for sure.

http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/landowners-and-farmers/seedling-orders

Here is the seedling catalog.

http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/04/11_12seedlingorderform.pdf

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 05:10:53 pm »
I grow the osage to train into bonsai trees, the knarly natural tendencies it has lends it to this art very well.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 05:21:17 pm »
This I gotta see, Badger!!!  Post some pics of your bonsai 'sage please!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 05:29:48 pm »
george, if i cant find any seeds i might take you up on the offer for the hedge apple fruit, do you ave to dry the seeds before planting?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 05:58:06 pm »
Osage orange was brought west by settlers and you can still find a few older trees. They are still producing fruit and are found mostly in gold country.