Author Topic: Hop hornbeam and pig nut.  (Read 10133 times)

Offline DRon knife

Hop hornbeam and pig nut.
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »
Some logs I recently felled.The hop hornbeam was felled a month ago and the hickory was cut yesterday.The ends of the hop horn were sealed with wax awaiting splitting(which I'm looking for opinions on my approach and drying options),that hop hornbeam is the straightest log I've ever seen!

Offline k-hat

Re: Hop hornbeam and pig nut.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »
I've got some serious wood envy going on >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:01:02 pm »
I had a small and very straight HHB log given to me a couple of years ago.  I split it in half and wasn't sure if I could get two bows from each half.  After some good advice from the guys on here, I tried splitting the half again.  I started in the center and drove a hatchet into it.  I was able to split it evenly to each end resulting in two good staves that I was able to make bows from.  I still have the other half of that log.  I don't have access to HHB so I am saving it for a rainy day.  Good luck with it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:48:16 pm »
Ya stixman,that's some good looking wood,I do plan on sharing,I just wanna split them and see what I get..I know where there are more of the nice hop horn too!!

@outlaw,I had good luck splitting the last one I had,in fact it split perfect and was the easiest log I ever split,a 5" log produced 4 nice staves,only the tree wasn't perfectly strait and I decided to find one better.The staves are available if your into straitening them,they are green with the bark on them I'll thro up some pics

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »
I could be wrong and its hard to tell from those pictures...but that doesn't look like hophornbeam to me,it looks like elm bark...n if it is that's all good too.

Hey clint ...I now know what to bring with me if I make it to the classic ;)...stuff grows like weed here

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:24:14 pm »
A agree with blackhawk, kinda looks like red elm bark...would love to see the wood on the end, the bark on both can look real close

Hhb
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:35:56 pm by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:38:03 pm »
Now that I look at the pictures a little closer, that bark doesn't look like the bark on my HHB stave.  The bark on mine is smaller strips kind of pealing off.  Looks a little bit like cedar bark.

Hey Blackhawk, bring some HHB and we will work out a trade.  I will be bringing osage and maybe some hackberry.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »
HHB is very variable across and within its range  I've seen it look like that.
 The wood will tell the truth though.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:05:56 am »
Its HHB,trust me!! the leaves an seed of the tree litter the grove!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:12:46 am »
Good enough, nice haul ;) love working with hhb
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:09 am »
I wanted to add that the HHB is so straight because there growing on an island of a small seasonal brook,others in the area resemble the pic posted by Soy.

Offline okie64

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:48 am »
Nice Haul! I wish we had more HHB growing around here. All the ones I find I find look like a barber pole.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 06:59:35 am »
Looks like Elm of some type to me. Good bow wood but not HHB. :)
   pAPPY
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:59:33 am »
Looks like what we would call hornbeam in the UK. Doesnt look like elm as the leaves are not asymetrical.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 11:41:26 am »
I have about 20 HHB tree's within 50 feet of my backdoor. I have never seen the seeds you see in your grove? The bark on the HHB up here is scaley, silvery colored and has ends peeling off on the bigger 5-6" plus trees. Almost like a small scale hickory. No mattter what it is or isnt, its dang straight and will make good bows for sure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.