Author Topic: hideglue and pigment ???  (Read 1737 times)

Offline osage outlaw

hideglue and pigment ???
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »
Does anyone have any knowledge they would like to share about coloring the back of a sinewed bow?  I have a hickory bow I sinewed last spring and I would like to color the back.  I am thinking black and red, but open to any ideas.  I was thinking of using charred wood scrapings mixed with hide glue for the black.  Would this also work to color the wood?  Thanks for any help.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

Re: hideglue and pigment ???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:18:00 pm »
Any dyes or stains will do the trick...if ya wanna go paleo you can use any of those methods I imagine. I dyed the sinew on a sinewed HHB...remember this one

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:15 pm »
I just had an idea.  It's not very primitive, but will it work?  What about using koolaid powder as the pigment?  I have used that to dye feathers and it worked great.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:37:26 pm »
Grab some n test it out..im sure it will....if you want a pink,blue,red,green,purple rainbow bow :laugh:

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:08 pm »
I don't know.  If I use koolaid, my bow might end up with a name like Cherry sparkleberry ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:27:58 pm »
Powdered Skittles. 

Shoot the rainbow! >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »
I've used a shellac & pigment paint on sinew-backed bows.  Hide glue will work, of course, but you'll have to seal it with something waterproof.  Shellac is a good paint binder and a good sealer at the same time.

With that said, hide glue has been used as a binder for paints for thousands of years.  If you want something truly primitive, go with the hide glue.  The only thing I would suggest is to use pigments or dyes that are not gritty.  Crushed charcoal is gritty but soot (lamp black) works much better.  You can also dye the glue with a natural, water based dye like beet juice, grape juice, cool-aid, etc.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr