Author Topic: Little experiment, suprizing results (stone VS steel)  (Read 1990 times)

Offline half eye

Little experiment, suprizing results (stone VS steel)
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:25 pm »
This was my first year with stone heads. Killed a nice fat little 8 point and was really suprized when the arrow went clean through from 15/18 yards. Entered just behind the last rib on the left side and came out between the right front leg and brisket. The deer collapsed in 60/65 yards.(within sight). I was shocked by the whole.

When I got home and got the buck skinned out and butchered, I was wondering about how that head just blew through that buck, so I wanted to try an experiment. I left the hide stretched out for 3 days (38 to 40 degrees daytime temps). It got pretty tough so I then put over a big styrofoam block and shot 2 arrows at it with both a 40# and 50# bow from 10 to 12 yards. The arrows were as follows:
erc 3/8" carrying a perdenales (cahokian) weight is 535 grains
birch 5/16" carrying a Zwickey eskimo...weight is 537 grains
I wasn't trying to duplicate a deer, I wanted to compare the stone to the steel. here's what happened......the stone head cut a bigger hole (more like a hole) and penetrated farther than stone.  At 40# the stone went in 1/2" further than the Zwickey and at 50# the results were the same except the amount of difference was closer to 5/8"

The inside of the hide left clear evidence of a surgical "slice" VS a gapping hole. Here are the photo's so ya can see the difference. Just wanted ya to know that these hard-butt flint/chert heads are very very good at what they do......get to retire my Zwickeys ::)

enjoy the picks and hope they might be of some use to y'all.
rich

Offline Tower

Re: Little experiment, suprizing results (stone VS steel)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:04:15 pm »
I love the experiment. I went to stone about 10 yrs ago on a dare. I've never looked back! Man in his aboriginal environment ,with the tools made by him, intelligence to build from his creator. The first deer I shot , I felt as if I had conquered the known world!! But that may just be me!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
I did a similar experiment a few years back and found that stone penetrated foam better than steel, however after shooting several deer with stone and steel alike, I find that steel is more reliable for hunting overall. I always have better penetration with steel on deer sized game.  but, I still get pass through's with stone, but there has been a couple bone hits with stone where I havent gotten as good of results with stone as I have with steel on the same hit.   now knowing that I still stand behind stone as very effective and I have no interest in hunting with steel points anymore, Im pretty much all stone at this point. Killed all three this year with stone.  The thing that matters the most is shot placement.    arrow weight has been a major issue with me in the past too. a heavy arrow and sharp point is a must!- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »
I hear you about the steel, Hunted since 1963 and allways have used first, Bear razorheads (green) and then Zwickeys. Those two heads kill for sure, I just wanted to share my experience (all of one deer and 1 experiment)....I take pride in clean kills of animals, and just wanted to express that a stone head is not in-humane to my mind, which allows me to set aside the steel.

I think that the smaller stone heads of tough chert or flint are humane killers
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:53:45 pm »
Congratulations on the deer. I shot a hog in the left ham facing away from me with a point made from Burns Obsidian and was amazed that it was sticking out the front right shoulder. I've never had that much penetration with steel.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:12:44 am »
Yup Im with you Rich, Your experiment was good with the hide for sure tho! We are starting to get more die hard stone guys now. i agree I like the smaller chert points as well.  I weighed a couple of mine and they were 70-80 gr give or take.

Eddie- How did the obsidian point hold up? I sure like how sharp it is, I just hate it when they break (i like to recover them afterwards..lol)  and did you collide with any bones at all?  I am going to two different primitive hog hunts. jan 28-29  and the feb 9-11  all on free ranging hogs, so I hope I can get a few killed. with stone of course, I'm leaving the steel at home.  My only concern would be getting through the shield of a boar if i should hit it
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:45:05 pm »
That is good info to see ...and that is one sweet looking knife! !!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...