Author Topic: steam bending ipe......  (Read 5932 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
steam bending ipe......
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »
has anyone ever had success steam bending ipe? I have a straight blank ready for backing and was wondering whether to try putting a short static recurve in with steam or boiling, but if others have had no joy, then I wont bother.....thanks

I know the standard line is that tropical hardwoods dont bend too well, but I dont want a massive bend.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: steam bending ipe......
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:33:53 pm »
Dragonman, from what I understand most of the tropical woods don't react to heat bending. I've never tried it so I can't say for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »
Nope. Just doesn't like heat of any kind. The only Tropical I've heard of responding to steam is bulletwood.
 It's far easier to do a simple spliced in tip of steam bent wood that takes to that treatment. Elm etc.
 A shallower angle is easier to do by just cutting the shape from a flat ringed board of Ash.
  I have several tropical wood bows with spliced in tips that I will show pics of soon.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:06:49 pm »
It can be done, but with limited results. It must be very thin. I made an Ipe recurve a few years back but it required kerf cuts and a lot of heat.

You can see more detail here: www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7923.15.html
About half way down the second page there are pics of the tips and a little more on the process I used.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:31:38 pm »
I remember that sweet little bow, Justin. Incredable full draw.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:03:01 pm »
I remember that sweet little bow, Justin. Incredable full draw.  8)
Thanks Pat, one day Ill make another of this style, with a few slight changes.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »
thanks Justin I actually remember that bow, very nice.... Thats answered my question as well, dont think I'll bother trying to steam bend  the ipe, it will have to be kerf joint or as much reflex as a straight limb will take,   thanks again.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:35:19 pm »
I've wanted to try boiling it in vegetable oil but haven't had time to try it, yet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:31 am »
I've wanted to try boiling it in vegetable oil but haven't had time to try it, yet.
I want to build a pressure chamber with a valve to release the pressure so I can pull it out quickly for bending.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:12:50 am »
Again,, sounds like we need more than one set of hands, it's gonna be real hot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:22:35 am »
Again,, sounds like we need more than one set of hands, it's gonna be real hot.
Yep, but if it works it will be worth it.  ;)

SW Utah