Author Topic: Post your workbench!  (Read 17509 times)

Offline Nifty

Post your workbench!
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »
Happy New Years Eve to everyone!  :)

I flew home from TX to get back to work on Tuesday, so now I'm dying to get back to making shavings this weekend. I'm planning to attempt to build myself a proper workbench over this long weekend. Can you guys post up pictures of your setup to give me some ideas?

I thought there was already a thread about this, but I wasn't able to come up with it using the search. If there already is one, can someone post a link?

Thanks!
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Post your workbench!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »
HA! I just yesterday bought a paper thin piece of ply to clam on top of my wifes dresser, so I can use that as an inside workbench/table to rasp bows on. She was not super happy. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:32:13 pm »
This is the first I built, the top is 6' x 32''. It is a 'torsen box' design for the base & is incredibly sturdy. Cost was about $75 if I remember correctly.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:29 pm »
I then decided to build another one, only a little bigger. The top is 8'x3'. It is much heaver than the first one. still less than $100 I know.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »
I am in the prep stage to build the 3 one. It will be shorter. maybe 5' tops. I have a couple of bench vices I want to mount so I can hold a board on edge between them.
If you are interested, I could do a build along to show you how it goes.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:41:33 pm »
here it is.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:19:36 pm »
I have to work out of my father-in-law's shop since I live in a small apartment in the city. I work off of a table saw when I need the flat surface, and a bench vice when I need to clamp it down. Pretty much all the surfaces in that shop are covered in clutter, but I can't complain since I get full-run of the place.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:47:01 pm »
Great thread.  Sadly, I'd have to clean for an hour before you could see the bench...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:52 pm »
here's a hint George......
Take a picture when it is clean, then save it and use it over and over. ;D
(That is what I did.  >:D)

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »
Great thread.  Sadly, I'd have to clean for an hour before you could see the bench...

George

I was just thinking the same thing but you beat me to it George!

Lane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 09:43:01 pm »
OK, my lovely wife offered to sweep floors in the shop (desperately needed) while I cleaned up the workbench.  The shop workbenches around this one are still a mess, but this is where I chase rings and do my bending.  I have a vise at each end, the near one is larger and used for draw knife work.  The far one is smaller and used to hold bows when I bend them, add tip overlays, etc.  You can see the third workbench in the room with the chop saw station behind the bow bench.

Here's the workbench just to the right of the bow bench right after it was completed.  I build strings, fletch arrows and do lots of other stuff on it.  The metal bracket on the first picture is attached to this one to stabilize the bow bench.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 10:11:53 pm »
Here is a poor picture of the bench I use the most.  I made it out of scrap lumber and some wheels that I had laying around.  I have a total of $5 invested in it.  That's what I payed for the vice at a yardsale.  It is somewhere around 32"x44".  I put it on wheels so I can move it between my workshop and the open garage depending on the temperature outside.  This is what I use for removing bark and sapwood from staves.  I have another bench that is 3'x8' that seems to catch all of the clutter.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 07:38:15 am »
I have 2 one @work and 1@ home

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 11:11:27 am »
Here's one I just built. I don't have my bench vise mounted, yet. I saw the you tube video below which had a material list and build a long. I modified it just a little. I think it cost about $25 in 2 X 4's and screws. I also used some Titebond II I had laying around. I cut the length down to 4' so I could use 8' 2 X 4's cut in half (they were on sale). I already had the plywood. It's 4' long and about 21" deep.

You can watch the video at this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k2vGP2VSRI&list=PL3D74B21EFE06E317&context=C3b29ea8ADOEgsToPDskIJJQXqdhObYEfB2-Vm8KJr

There was an option for wheels, but I didn't put them on, yet. I like it so much, I picked up more 2 X 4's and am going to build another one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:50:41 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
My workbench in its usual state of disrepair. I built the frame out thick heavy lumber and inserted prefab cabinets with drawers from Lowe's because I am a lousy cabinet maker.