Author Topic: Now a crack!!! found my ring... question ...Trying some Osage... ring help  (Read 6046 times)

Offline coaster500

My first stab at a bow was in August it was a Mulberry stave that a blind man could have worked. This ring chasing that I hear a bunch of folks saying is their favorite part is very difficult for me, even on that perfect stave. I wear tri-focals and have a condition wear I have some floaters in the viscous material in my eyes. It's kind of like when you get punched and see stars but mine don't go away? I've got an Osage stave and started to work on it last night and it is very hard for me to work the back down and I'm about three rings into it.

Is there some special trick I can use to better separate the rings visually for these messed up eyes? They may be very clear to some of you but they are very hard to see for me.

The grain on the back of this stave is faint also and it will be hard to fallow for the layout.

I’m trying but may have to stick to white woods with these eyes.

70" X 1 1/2 X 2 1/4 and 2 1/4"s thick

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:44:44 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline gmc

Re: Trying some Osage... ring help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »
Hi Coaster,
I am not a ring chasing expert but have done enough to possibility offer a little help. Do you have a picture of the end of the stave showing the early/ late wood ratio and thickness of the rings?

Chasing a ring is not only done by sight but feel along with a little sound. Appears you have the sapwood removed so that's a help. It takes really good lighting to see what you are doing regardless of how well you see. The best lighting is the sun, but when working inside I have a lamp that I assemble over top of my work so  that I can change the lighting angle as needed. 

I also use a drawknife to chase a ring and then smaller scrapers to clean up the back starting from one tip and then moving the entire length of the stave. Some will start in the center and move out to the tips. Normally takes me around 20 mins. to chase one.

A lot of times that top ring as with any heartwood will not have a very defined ring. Its always a good idea to drop one down under the heartwood to ensure you have a complete ring the full length of the stave.

About all that I can offer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:26:30 pm by gmc »
Central Kentucky

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:24:40 pm »
dont have any real sight issue other than older eyes that dont see up close as well as past times(wear cheap reading glasses  to work on bows). that said, i do have to have really good light to see the rings. and it has to be at the right angle to the wood. as i work down the stave i often have to either adjust the light or the stave angle to continue being able to see what im doing. good light, thats the key for me. good luck!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:11:28 pm »
Different light sources also make a difference.  You'll notice a difference in how the rings appear between flourescent and incandescent light sources.  Utilizing maybe an overhead flourescent along with an incandescent desk lamp can help.  Also, looking down the stave from opposite ends.  There is a distinct sound the early, weaker, spring growth makes.  It sounds kind of like corn flakes crunching when you are into it.  It is less apparent with tighter growth ringed osage, however. 

What might also help is to mark your ring layer with a pencil, when you see it as you advance down the length of the stave.  Sometimes, the difference in colors can be slight and by marking the ring with a pencil, you can move back into your working position without losing sight of the ring.  For both thick and thin ringed osage a scraper is an invaluable tool when chasing a ring.  Especially for the thinner ringed staves you can get close with the draw knife and use the scraper for the "clean-up" work.  For difficult, humpy-bumpy, snakey staves I've chased entire rings solely with a scraper.  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:16:13 pm by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 02:15:05 pm »
Once I get to a clear back ring I use a centering tool to find the center line of the stave then mark every 4" to 6" out the stave. At each of these points I mark either side of the center line to eventually get my limb profile. This tool follows the outside edges of the split out stave. Sometimes I will cant the tool to the right, then to the left to get a good center line. It the lines seperate just draw a line between them (average it out) for the center line.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 02:52:19 pm »
Chasing your first ring just plain sucks is all I can say right now. I love it now . It also doesn't help if you have thin rings for the first time if that's the case.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »
Older gentelman I used to know had a trick.

He would run dust on the area he was working . It have him enough contrast to see the ring edge. He would just wipe his had on a shelf in his shop then wipe that on the area he was working.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 07:04:26 pm »
What Bevan said gave me an idea. What if you rub some olive oil or something like that onto the back? That might highlight the boundaries between the growth rings. Anything to add contrast I guess.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 07:44:36 pm »
I think sunlight is by far the best light to chase your first ring.  When I'm teaching somebody to chase their first ring we normally go outside if we can.  Otherwise, I use a pedestel light I can move around the vise until the light is best.  Since I'm usually overheated chasing a ring, I wipe sweat off my arms on the ring boundary if I'm having trouble seeing it.  But, I think the best way to chase your first ring is to do it with somebody who's done it a lot.  When you have a question you can ask and by the time you finish your bow it won't be so hard.  I have no idea how many people I've taken through that process.  Good memories.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:48 pm »
I agree George, it is amazing what even a few minutes with someone's help on the first stave to help get the 'feel' and 'ear'.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 11:45:37 pm »
Wow I have been at work and could not respond to this thread.

Thank you for all the help!!!

gmc...  I don't have a setup to work outside right now and the feel touch will have to develop with time I guess..
sadiejane...  I'll pick up a pair of Magnifying glasses at the drug store today, we'll see :)
MWirwiki...  I've got a cheap clamp on incandescent light I'll try in combination with the florescent I have now. I am grateful that this stave is fairly smooth and without to many humps and bumps. I actually started on a different stave with many more hills and valleys. I put it away for another day because I could not make it happen for now.
Pat that's a sweet tool and looks pretty simple to build.... 
Slackbunny, Bevan.... I didn't try dust or oil but i did try a damp cloth wipe and it did help a bit...
George, I need to fly one of you guys out for a how to lesson :)
Blackhawk.... It is frustrating but with all the help form you folks I've got to figure this out :)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:38:14 am by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 12:10:16 am »
Coaster...have a looksy here if you haven't seen it yet...good stuff

http://peteward.com/Articles/Ferret.osage.buildalong1.htm

And I wont even mention how many hours it took me to chase my first ring. Because my first attempt at a bow was with an osage stave(and not the prettiest either),and my first time learning how to use a draw knife and scrapers.....not a good mix of firsts together at once... :laugh:....I feel your pain brother.  :'(  after that experience I hated chasing rings and osage....boy how things have changed... ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 02:17:44 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 12:42:03 pm »
Blackhawk...  That's good info on Pete Wards page :)

Professor Jawge you're in my favorites !!

Thanks again

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 12:52:32 pm »
Easiest way for me to chase a ring is to simply have less ring to chase. I shape the sides close to dimensions as soon as possible, and then work from both sides to the middle chasing the ring........Art