Author Topic: My submission for bowS of the month  (Read 8131 times)

8up

My submission for bowS of the month
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:38:55 pm »
I know it "Bow of the Month" But I built 2 this month. I built one for myself and one for my son Ronnie. I only have him for the summer months. He lives in Michigan with his mother. He immediatly took an interest and ask me to make him one. So I did a father and son pair. If possible I would like to submit them together because they were built as something to bond the two of us together. Two bows means twice as many flaws but they belong together like me and him.

I built my son one from hickory its 61 1/2" nock to nock. He chose puritan pine stain to make the skins show up a little better and still keep the lighter wood color. We sealed it with Spar urethane. Limbs are backed with prarie rattler and rattles attached to grip. Black tip overlays. Leather grip is stitched with black and white serving thread thats been braided. Its 43# @ 27" and he shoots it well. It also has the first string on it I had ever made and served.

I will try to add a braced and unbraced as well

I built mine out of hickory also and it is 64 1/2" from nock to nock. Its stained with a light coat of black walnut minwax and sealed with Polyurethane. Limbs are backed with prarie rattler. When I put the skins on they come out extremly different colors which had me bummed and then while removing the scales I ripped one skin. I stripped that skin off and ordered another skin to match the remaining one. Tip overlays are cow horn Its 55# @ 26"

Thanks, Ron

duffontap

Re: My submission for bowS of the month
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 03:55:33 pm »
Beautiful bows and a great story.  Archery is family recreation at its finest.  Very fine craftsmanship.  You son looks very proud of his bow.

J. D. Duff

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
WOW,...those bows are niceee!!!!!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:25:37 pm »
What a sweet pair of bows. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:50:16 pm »
Nice bows, your progress from your first (not all that long ago) is incredible! Great job and keep it up!
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:52:11 pm »
Way to go Ron, yer son looks like a fine young man thats is proud of his bow and of dad that
made it for him. Nice looking bows. Where in Michigan does he live?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 09:15:31 pm »
I especially like the tip overlays om the second bow. They look translucent.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 11:53:50 pm »
Man those are great lookin bows, you really caught on quick......the single Dad thing is tuff  but it looks like your makin the most of your time together.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

8up

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:43:49 am »
Thank all of you for your kind compliments on my son and the bows.

1/2primitive, You are right my first bow was started at the TN Classic this year. This is #2 & #3 and #4 is floor tillered. My progress in not entirely of my own doing. I owe a big thanks to Pappy for taking me under his wing. He is like having a book with all the answers You can learn a lot from it and when you have a question the answer is not far away. Thanks to GregB who taught me how to twist my strings, and has helped with tillering advice as well. I also owe some of my progress to PA and this forum where I can learn from all of your successes and even the failures.

DanaM, He lives just outside of Ann Arbor. I lived within 40 miles of Detroit most of my life.

Koan, I'm not single (remarried) but it is definitely tough not having him close. I get him for 2 months of the summer and a week during deer season. I do my best to make good long lasting memories for us both with my limited time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:46:24 am by 8up »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 05:43:23 am »
Job well done Ron.I have already told you in person but they turned out nice,now if you can just learn to shoot it. ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 08:25:10 am »
Beautiful pair of bows Ron, great job on both of them.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 09:46:46 am by Woodland Roamer »
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

MattE

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 08:37:31 am »
Your bows look great!

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 08:53:13 am »
A great pair of bows. Very good work in the details.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 11:55:44 am »
Good looking bows. Looks like a really worthwhile Father & Son project.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 01:02:38 pm »
What everybody else said. You've come a long way in a short time. Great pair of bows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.