Author Topic: new/old topic:snakeskins  (Read 3385 times)

Tom B

new/old topic:snakeskins
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:46:19 pm »
heres the dilemma.glycerin tanned.pappy and pat offered suggestions.i soaked them in alchohol for two days and they seem
less greasy.they are air drying.the bow has several coats of wipe on poly.i was thinking spray on contact adhesive.not primitive i know.Kowechobe anything to add my as yet unmet friend? will try pappy's brake clean if no other options. thanks in advance.tom

Tom B

Re: new/old topic:snakeskins
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:47:34 pm »
dang. wrong place. please move if need be. thanks.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 03:37:01 pm »
              Tom.............I use white wood ash and water a VERY diluted mixture much less than hair removal on skins. I check once a day ta see when I want ta remove them and I feel the glycerine is gone, ya need ta use some ash ta make it work. Was way I was taught, works good an totally primitive, ifn that matters ta ya. Pappy's method of brake cleaner is good , takes much less time but I aint in any hurry. Healthy pre-columbian attitude eh ? Dana wanted ta know so I hope he reads this also...........bob

Tom B

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:58:24 pm »
Thanks Bob.I will give it a try.The alchohol did seem to help.I don't do things totally primitive. I use steel, dacron,super glue, urac.But I do love this stuff.Thanks tom

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:07 pm »
  Tom,This isn't primitive either,but spray on oven cleaner works also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Tom B

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 05:40:11 am »
Thanks Eddie.It appears that with all the input i'll get to use that skin afterall.thanks to all.tom