Author Topic: another bandsaw question  (Read 5805 times)

Offline billmac

another bandsaw question
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:56:55 pm »
I'm using my relatively new 14" Ridgid bandsaw to rough out my bow staves.  Is it just me, or is this really at the edge of this type of saw's capabilities?  I'm sawing out hickory, elm and ash (so far).  I have reduced the staves to about 2" square on my table saw already, and am using the bandsaw to make the measured cuts.  This really dogs the saw out and I end up doing cutting in little starts and stops, about 1/4" at a time.  I push the piece forward and it cuts a little and dogs out, and then I back the piece off and let the blade come back up to speed.  I think I have the saw tuned as best I can, and am using a 1/2 inch ripping type blade.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: another bandsaw question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:00:52 pm »
It should be cutting better than that, but hickory is tough stuff, especially at 2" thick. Is it a new sharp blade? My old Craftsman is like that when the blade gets dull or out of adjustment, but tuned and sharp, it wades right through it. Sometimes the blade will get pinched if you're cutting irregularly shaped stuff and the cut angle changes a fuzz as you go down the stave.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline billmac

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:20:05 pm »
Hillbilly,

It's a new blade.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:21:35 pm »

You shouldn't be having any trouble, we work larger hickory and osage then that. What horsepower is it?
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:23:29 pm »
Hillbilly,

It's a new blade.
Yes, but what kind of blade is it?  I had difficulty cutting anything.  I bought a 93 1/2"X 1/2",  6 tooth per inch, hook blade and I can cut Ipe and Purpleheart now.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

MattE

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:40:35 pm »
check the tension on the blade, check to see if the belt is slipping,see if the pully key has fell out,and use the right blade, a skip tooth blade will work very well. One of these is probably your problem

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:52:21 pm »
A fresh 1/2" to 3/4" skip-tooth blade with 2-4 teeth per inch (a resawing blade) will mow through wood on that saw.  With such a blade you would love your bandsaw again. 

J. D.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 07:42:51 pm »
Must buy bandsaw....Need bandsaw!!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline billmac

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 08:03:06 pm »
I'm using a 1/2" 4 tpi skip tooth blade.  3/4 HP, 15 amp motor.  The tension seems fine.  Belt is not slipping.   I saw a 3 tpi hook tooth blade at the store today.  I may try that.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:22:03 pm »
If she is bogging down try 6 TPI.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

MattE

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:17:51 am »
If you are free handing a stave you will have a problem, not to mention it is dangerous. You need a flat surface againest your table.Try jointing a surface on your stave to place on your table and you may find that your problem is cured.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 09:35:50 am »
Mine take a 111in blade and I use a 3 hook 3/4 blade and it will go right through about anything.The only problem with the wide blade is you can't cut a radius,that is why I kept my 12 in saw with a 3/8 blade. ;D
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good