Author Topic: A Cypress Flat Bow  (Read 18676 times)

Offline swamp monkey

A Cypress Flat Bow
« on: December 24, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »
I have not seen much posted on the topic of a baldcypress flat bow.    Ever since I saw one depicted in Hamm and Allely’s Encyclopedia of Bows, Arrow and Quivers of the Native Americans Vol. 1 I have wanted to make a cypress bow just like the Seminole did.  Besides what self respecting “swamp monkey” wouldn’t at least try to make some archery gear from a cypress tree.  However, finding a cypress tree to cut is slim pickings here in southeast Missouri, since most of our swamps are drained and cleared.   Most remaining cypress trees are on public land.  So I kept the idea in the back of my mind until opportunity struck.  Then one day I visited the Woodcraft store in St Louis and there it was: a rack of boards ALL made of cypress.  I was the fattest hog at the trough.  You might even say I was giddy.   They don’t carry this stuff on the internet; you have to visit a store to get it.   I set a land speed record reaching for my wallet to pay and be on my merry way.
I chose a de-crowned board with the straightest grain they had.  I carefully laid this out along the crown.  Using a table saw I cut the bow out.  I know that is not terribly primitive but I wanted to save EVERY scrap of this wood that I could.  I intend to make some arrows and perhaps another bow from a quarter sawn section later.  “Waste” was not on my list of things to do. 
Examining pages 70 & 72 I was able to get width and total length data but nothing on thickness.  So I visited a few museum web sites with nothing to show for my efforts.  Left with only my wits and experience, (yeah, not exactly the provisions you might hope for) I spoke shaved the bow down to about ½ inch thick figuring that would be a good starting place.  I thought this was plenty thick until I pushed on it to test floor tiller.  It was feeling very springy and not as stiff as I expected.  I had a surge of panic that I went too far and on a precious resource like this – NOOOOOO!  God favors fools and small children.  Once I got to the tillering tree I found I was close but not too far gone.   
I calmed down and began to sand the bow to get rid of any rough edges.   Then I put the tillering string on loosely to bend it on the tree.  Each pull of the tillering rope made me wince.  You would have thought I had a long bundle of dried pasta noodles on the tillering tree by the way I pulled the rope.  Fully expecting an explosion, I looked on with my head partially turned. 
I proceeded on. 
Notes:
Before I had the bow at brace height I noticed I had a weak spot.  Although I corrected the bow’s bend I noticed three compression lines from this process all in one spot.  They all centered with the one area where the grain was influenced by a small knot. 
Cypress is a soft wood that dents and mars easily.  The string pressure alone made minor depressions into the wood where the edges were too sharp.  So I sanded those edges a bit.
Getting rid of tool marks was easy, but I had to watch so I didn’t affect tiller in the process. 
Four more trips to the tillering tree gave me  a bow with 35 pounds of pull at 26”.  The bend was good and I moved on to finish work. 
Final Dimensions:
•   TL = 71 inches
•   Width = 1 5/8”
•   Thickness at handle = ½”
•   Thickness at tips = 7/16”
•   One inch of set at the tips
I test shot this bad boy with surprise.  It really flung arrows.  I decorated the belly with cypress leaves and cypress cones.  The back I decorated in Seminole arrow heads; A shark tooth, Alligator gar scale, and some sting ray barbs. 
A little linseed oil(really brings out the wood’s beauty), several coats of tru oil and I was done. -a dream come true.   This swamp monkey had a ball making this product from the swamp.

Offline swamp monkey

Re: A Cypress Flat Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 04:00:23 pm »
I made this for a shorter draw length than my own so I did not want to over draw it. 

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 04:22:35 pm »
that is a very neat  bow i will have to remember that design looks simple and good and good job on it look really good

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 05:25:09 pm »
Nice finishing touches....but way too much bend in the handle and fades area.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 07:04:15 pm »
Yeah I thought so too, but was under the notion that flat bows should bend less at the tips.  If it Ok to make em bend more I am willing to take some more wood off there. 

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 06:33:57 am »
Nice and simple, I really like it.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 11:25:35 pm »
I like that finish work.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:13:08 am »
nice bow, you dont see too many cypress bows.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:55:20 pm »
Nice job! love the artwork. I agree with Blackhawk. Bends a bit much at the handle area. With that back profile shape (parallel sides the whole length of the bow) you should have more bend more in the outer 1/3 if the limbs to give it a little more elliptical tiller. Unfortunately, that'll lower the draw weight a little but we know you'll be makin more! ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »
thanks for the encouragement and input  fellas.   I am already working on the tips and have the quarter sawn section laid out.  I love it. 

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 07:44:15 pm »
Here is the reworked cypress bow.  Final specs 35# @ 28"  Still shoots well and I got the confidence to pull it back to my draw length.  Thanks for the input!  I also took the opportunity to rework the art.  happy new year.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »
That tiller job looks much better than the original. That cypress is some beautiful wood, very nice.

Removing some of that material from the outer 1/3 may have dropped your draw weight a bit, but I bet the improvement in your overall cast would make up for most of it.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 12:09:04 am »
  Really nice bow out of some challenging wood Swampmonkey. Tiller is money. I hunt and fish in Sparkleberry Swamp here in S.C. and it's full of bald cypress and wondered about it for bows. Well you completely answered my question with that beautiful cypress bow. Very interesting art work, looks like I just stepped back in time in Seminole country.
                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 10:09:03 am »
Awesome man, I live in South Florida, and of course there is alot of  cypress here. Do you have to chase a growth ring on that wood or anything of the sort? What is used for the back? Sap or heartwood or does it matter? Thanks

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 10:24:35 am »
Real nice job!  Excellent work.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry