Author Topic: Well... CRAP!! (B.L.)  (Read 5828 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Well... CRAP!! (B.L.)
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 05:06:19 pm »
I agree with Marc, I think the only way to save it is to glue it down and wrap it.  The problem is that it stops you from tillering any further on that spot so there'll be a stiff spot in the limb right there.  The only alternative is to cut the bad limb off at the handle and look for a matching billet you can splice to the good limb.  You could also make a takedown with the good limb as one limb and make a new limb for the other. 

John, it looks to me like the split wants to go down into the limb further.  I wouldn't trust it even if the back were trapped and would end up wrapping it.  When I see something like that cat's eye I'm afraid I would have stopped at that point as Jawge wrote.  I like to tackle difficult wood, but not damaged.  Oops, I broke the negativity rule... :-[

Good luck whatever you do.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 10:14:29 am »
Super glue and silk or sinew wraps.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 04:31:34 pm »
Glue it down with some superglue and wrap it with dental floss and then saturate the whole thing in superglue.  I've done that a few times before and it works good.

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 08:28:26 pm »
Boy, that's the trouble with so many competent bowyers on here. Too many differrent ideas... and they all have value. Frankly, most of them would probably work.

Looks like it boils down to 2 basic approaches, take it down a growth ring and hope the next ring has more integrity than the current back. This will lose quite a bit of draw weight, hopefully it will still have 40# or so. The other is to glue and wrap it the way it is and do the best with the tiller where it's at. The problem with this approach is that I'm always gonna know that I have a broken bow under there and I'll be waitin for it to break... never fully trusting it.

What about taking it down then adding sinew to the entire back? Might have to eliminate the flipped tips if I do that. How does black locust react to sinew backing?

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »
Been awhile, I know. I had wrist surgery and had to put the bow shop on hold for a month or so. When I did get back to it I decided to remove a growth ring and sinew back it. I used TBIII cause I didn't have hide glue. and used (I think) Pat B's method of holding it in reflex with sinew string. All in all, I am pleased with my first sinew job, but I realize now that the TB is darker than hide glue when dried.

This leads me to think about a backing for the backing?!? Anybody ever try BDU camo glued to the back? That would be a cotton cloth, and not sure if it will lay down very well.